Re: ISS Ham Radio Operations??

Hi Mary:

Ill try to answer some of your key questions.

> 1. Is there going to be a dedicated HAM station aboard ISS?

Amateur Radio is an education tool and it will also be used
by the crew in their free time for entertainment
and family/friend and public random conversations.
However, free time is very limited.
As i have been told at a few Space Agency meetings,
"there is no such thing as free time".
There will be a licensed Amateur Radio operator on every planned crew
mission.
All members of the crew can use the equipment.

> 2. Is it going to be ON all the time? (see below)
During the first year, the activity will be random.
Its like building a big house.  You are very busy the first
year unpacking and hanging the drapes.  Eventually you do get more
free time.
The Mir crew members learned that Amateur Radio was very important for
long duration Missions.  And many of the crew members used the Amateur
radio station Daily.  We will have to see how much time the crew gets
with ISS for voice activities.
Fortunately we have two unattended projects planed for ISS.
1) Packet Email.  People will be able to send short message to ISS.
and use Chat Room to type to other stations within 1500 miles.
Chat Room is currently being used on ISS part time as the crew
fine tunes some of the settings.

2) Slow Scan TV
www.marex-na.org
SSTV is tentatively planed for a flight possibly this year 2001.
There are many details that need to be finalized.
If SSTV is activated, it will be able to transmit 720 images per day
from iss.
Anyone with a simple zero dbd antenna will be able to decode a few of
these
images per day.  And, if you do not have any radio equipment, then you
can
just look on the web and see what images other stations have decoded.

The unmanned projects do not require very much crew time and we are
hoping
for the equipment to be active for long periods of time.

More projects are being reviewed next month at the ARISS meeting in
Holland.
We have 5 antenna ports which we can Share access with on ISS.
We have the antennas.  We just need good funded projects.

> 3. If the answer to question 2 is NO, How can we keep the kids INTERESTED?
There will be days and sometimes weeks when due to crew work load and
power, etc.
we may need to turn off the amateur experiments for a period of time.
Shuttle and Soyuze dockings/undockings will usually require shutdowns.

> 4. Will there be APRS "School Days" like there was on MIR?
MAREX ran a few Cosmonaut days on Mir, when the Mir crew was scheduled
to be on a frequency during specific times to talk to the public.
The schedules with Mir were very successful.
We are working on trying theses again in the future with ISS.

But we must remember, the crew time is very valuable,
they have a large amout of work to do in space.

It reminds me of a current fictional TV show about the
president of the USA.  All day long people are asking the president
for "JUST 5 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME".   One days worth of 5 minute
requests added up to a full week.

good luck and keep listening, today i talked to Susan on ISS.

Quote from Russian Cosomonaut Sergej Serebrouv Mir 1995
"A school schedule is only 10 minutes long, ill make time"

Miles WF1F MAREX

www.marex-na.org