Re: [amsat-bb] Re: Loose lips sink ships, etc.

>From: Dave Guimont <dguimon1@san.rr.com>
>To: "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>

>>I guess in the end if they read negative comments here and say "no more
>>ham radio" then tell me what will we have lost?
>We have lost NOTHING, and we (AMSAT, USA) will gain whatever we don't
>spend, of our meager funds,
>supporting this ridiculous venture.  Of course I have no choice if the BofD
>continues to support
>this ridiculous venture, but I do have a choice in making any more of my
>meager contributions.
>
>The entire ISS is nothing but a boondoggle when they support a crew up
>there.  I have no figures to
>prove it, but my guess would be that for 1/100th of what is costing now to
>put a crew up there,
>it could be done even better by remote control.   I'm a retired Navy pilot,
>retired in 1967, and at
>that time pilotless aircraft were coming into being.  Right today very few
>"manned missions" can
>come close to the efficiency and cost effectiveness of remotes in aircraft,
>
>That "idiot box" flying around up there now should be filled with JUST
>THOSE BOXES!
>
>Some day the country will wake up...
>
>            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
>                    Disagree: I learn....
BRAVO ZULU.

my thoughts exactly (I drive Tomcats when I get to go to the boat)...

In the end the space station is one big rat hole and while the nation is
stuck there ham radio should not be.

In the end what we have here is a pr device for NASA that really doesnt
contribute much to the general scheme of ham radio.

Most of the strow "hams" dont touch the thing when they are "down here" (you
hear a couple on the local repeaters) but talking with some of them privatly
you find that most consider it a nuacance but have to do the school things
to "stay in the timeline".

I dont know what AMSAT is spending on this total but that figure would be
"fascinating" to learn.  I bet you thats the most expensive "rig" period.

Robert WB5MZO