Re: Loose lips sink ships, etc.

Robert Oler wrote:

> I just dont like the "Frank Burns" viewpoint which is that unless we
> blindly follow our leaders how can our concepts of democracy work.

Of course not, and I haven't heard anybody support such a point of view
here.

But please, let's distinguish between "blindly following our leaders"
and "blindly complaining about something we're not really informed
about". I know you oppose "blind faith", and rightly so. But please take
care that you do not endorse other forms of blindness in the process. :-)

The reason ISS callsigns are what they are (even when what they are is
"NOCALL") have been very much publically available and openly discussed
for some time. I can understand folks rolling on to the scene right now
in these exciting days and assuming that configuring the TNC up there is
a trivial matter.

After all, (one says to onself) it's a fricken *space station* for
goodness sake! How hard can it be to type a few commands? :-)

"Ivanova, set MYCALL to R0ISS!"
"Acknowleged, Captain Sheridan!"

It's only when you're tuned into the recent ARISS history that the
reasons such relatively simple things are now so complicated become
clearer. Frank was kind enough to provide an explanation to the list as
to the background of some of these issues, and what the ARISS team is
doing to resolve them, and he did a great job.

  As aviators, you and I both understand why things that seem simple on
the ground get vastly more complex (and *excruciatingly* more
important--vital to mission and crew safety) one you are airborne, and
even more so on-orbit, and *trebly* so in a craft as complex as Alpha.

I'm itching myself for the next load up to have in it a Palm Pilot
loaded with ptelnet and a serial cable. But it can't.

Why? Not only because it hasn't been manifested, but particularly
because Palm Pilots aren't space-qualified. That isn't foot-dragging,
any more than not buying wing bolts for your airplane at Home Depot is
footdragging. It's How Things Are Done, and the reason is ensuring crew
safety and mission integrity. Following such standards and procedures is
not "blind faith in authority", it's a mantra to make sure we don't make
deadly mistakes by overlooking small but important details.

> Keep up the fine work Maggie.

As Ben Stein says, "I shall do my best..." :-)

73 de Maggie K3XS