Re: Loose lips sink ships, etc.

>From: RaySoifer <RaySoifer@cs.com>
>To: sarex@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: [sarex] Loose lips sink ships, etc.
>Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 14:46:43 -0500

I would add a couple of notes (and I am doing this publicaly because your
intial message was public...you will note that I am replying to the public
one).

I recognize that there are probably lots of "names" that at least have
someone read this list for them.

And I also read that a lot of negative comments about Ariane and
Aerospatiale are said to have negativly impacted the disucsssions on a
launch.  I have no way to know to what degree that this is accurate but
again my response to that would be about the same as it would be to the ISS
situation.

NASA is going to do in the end what is good for NASA.  They are adept at
telling the country to take a long walk off a short pier so they would have
no problem screwing ham radio.  (like "opps we just discovered that the
LATEST cost overrun on the station is four billion and climbing gee how did
that happen").  If they let ham radio fly it will be because NASA wants
something out of it and they will make sure that they get what they want and
wont really care that the amateur community gets what it needs or wants or
expects.

they are not going to turn the station "off" or not use it for school
contacts.  They dont use it for much more then school contacts now and the
fact that it takes a year or so to qualify a lap top to go to the station is
just so much "we really dont care" from them.

I guess in the end if they read negative comments here and say "no more ham
radio" then tell me what will we have lost?

Robert Oler WB5MZO