Re: ISS Operations

Frank H. Bauer wrote:

> Can I get an ISS QSL for my unproto digi packets?
>
> Yes!  All who digi through the ISS ham radio system can obtain 1 QSL
> card for packet on each Expedition flight.  This includes the current
> operation with "mycall" set to nocall.

Frank, especially of us who never worked Mir, is there anything you
would add to what's in the FAQ for what we need to send (and where) for
QSLs specifically for digi operations? Is "date, time in UTC, frequency
and mode" sufficient? For example, I hit the digi last night around 0140z:

      >FN20hd/-
      K2GB>FN30RU,NOCALL*/V: <UI>:]$[
      K3XS>CQ,NOCALL*/V: <UI>:>FN20hd/-

  and got a posit onto www.ariss.net.

So it would be enough to send a QSL reporting

  "NOCALL de K3XS,14 April 2001, 0140z, 145.8 down/145.99up, packet
digipeat"?

Here's the info from the FAQ for reference:

Frank also wrote:

> There are several of you that are
> using the beacon capability in packet and are sending your packets
> automatically/unattended.  I personally have heard this in my area.  WE
> HIGHLY DISCOURAGE GROUND STATIONS ADOPTING THIS PRACTICE.  Miles, WF1F
> said this the other day and I want to reinforce it...
 > MANUALLY SEND YOUR PACKETS.  Do not send them automatically.

I'll add my vote to that. Do I need to point out "we know who you are"? :-)

> Please remember that this is a volunteer activity.  We have hundreds of
> people around the world supporting this, including the on-orbit crew.
> We want to keep this activity an active and vital part of amateur
> radio.  Let's all keep a positive attitude about where we are and where
> we are going with ARISS.

And along with that let's add a vote of thanks to the entire ARISS team
that have made this possible, who I won't identify beyond Frank and
Miles because I *know* I'll leave somebody out. When I was down at
Goddard back at the beginning of the month I got to meet a few of these
people, they're top-notch.

73 de Maggie K3XS