What is in a call sign?

Here we go again.

This was topic beaten to death about 6 months ago, when ISS was first started to
be inhabited.
Our space agency (NASA) did not see the advantage or reason for an Amateur Radio
experiment or presence on the ISS. In other words there are zero provisions for
it on any of the modules that the United States our tax dollars paid for.

The Russian government has a much more "Amateur Radio Friendly" attitude, and
all of the Amateur Radio facilities are located in the Russian parts of the
space station. Why would it be a  problem with to give it  Russian call sign?

We have no right to even question why there is not an American call sign used.
Technically, I guess the equipment is on Russian Soil and according to the IARU
if it had a American call sign it would have to sign W#ISS/R0.

I would have liked a 4U#ISS call sign since it is a international entity. But
since only the Russian module has the provision for our great hobby, it is only
fair to give it a Russian call sign. After all they paid for it and we didn't.

SO, if we want an American call sign, I think that we should petition Washington
and get our part of the station retrofitted for Amateur Radio. You get what we
paid for.

It is what it is. Let's spend less time worrying about what it is called and
more time on the air.

73's
Ken K2WB