Re: possible reason for no iss voice qso

Howdy,

The main reason there were no voice QSO's was that there were a lot of scheduled
public affairs events (inteviews with the press).  These events were of higher
priority and often ocurred during the best passes.

Ken

Quoting Steve Dimse <k4hg@tapr.org>:

> On 4/13/01 12:11 AM Bruce Paige (kk5do@arrl.net) wrote:
>
> >supposition: what if the crew is afraid at this point to disconnect the
> tnc,
> >change frequency and then not be able to get the tnc to work again?
> >wouldn't we all be a bit put off? i have a feeling that turning it off,
>
> >making qso's
> >over europe, hooking it back up and turning it on for the next orbit or
>
> >two and
> >then turning it off again for the u.s., etc. was not what they really
> want
> >to do
> >and thus, left it in tnc mode.
> >
> >at least we have the tnc operating and if they leave it operating for
> the
> >next
> >year, would be still be upset at them for not making any voice qso's?
> >probably, but not as upset as we would be if it stopped altogether.
> >
> If you remember Frank's announcement about the packet ops, he said the
> crew was too busy to plug in a computer to reprogram the TNC. If they
> don't have 10 minutes at any time to do that, why would they have 30
> minutes out of each orbit to do voice QSOs?
>
> I think the crew is well trained enough to be able to start and stop
> packet ops at will, I really believe they just don't have the time.
>
> Steve K4HG

Ken McCaughey - N3FZX - n3fzx@amsat.org