Re: possible reason for no iss voice qso

On 4/13/01 12:11 AM Bruce Paige (kk5do@arrl.net) wrote:

>supposition: what if the crew is afraid at this point to disconnect the tnc,
>change frequency and then not be able to get the tnc to work again?
>wouldn't we all be a bit put off? i have a feeling that turning it off,
>making qso's
>over europe, hooking it back up and turning it on for the next orbit or
>two and
>then turning it off again for the u.s., etc. was not what they really want
>to do
>and thus, left it in tnc mode.
>
>at least we have the tnc operating and if they leave it operating for the
>next
>year, would be still be upset at them for not making any voice qso's?
>probably, but not as upset as we would be if it stopped altogether.

If you remember Frank's announcement about the packet ops, he said the
crew was too busy to plug in a computer to reprogram the TNC. If they
don't have 10 minutes at any time to do that, why would they have 30
minutes out of each orbit to do voice QSOs?

I think the crew is well trained enough to be able to start and stop
packet ops at will, I really believe they just don't have the time.

Steve K4HG