Re: Why Reboost

>From: James Alderman <James.Alderman@COM-NETERICSSON.COM>
>To: "'sarex@amsat.org'" <sarex@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: [sarex] Why Reboost
>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:12:37 -0400
>
>Could somebody explain why the ISS is having to reboost so often.  Right
>now
>my NOVA tracking program is showing the ISS at an altitude of 234 miles.
>(Hubble is at 359 miles and it doesn't have to reboost<<

ISS has "high" drag so it needs reboosting a "lot".  It is at the low
altitude it is because the space shuttle is a crummy lifter to that
inclination of orbit (as oppossed to due east from the Cape) and it couldnt
lift a great deal in terms of payload to a higher orbit at that inclination.

Robert Oler