MAREX news, ISS Packet active

April 8, 2001

Miles Mann	MAREX-NA
(Manned Amateur Radio Experiment, North American Division)

Note, the proper call sign of the ISS has not been configured at this
time.
On Sunday April 8, the call sign was NOCALL  (that's a O not a zero).
The call sign will eventually be programmed for R0ISS.
The ISS crew is still making adjustments to the TNC.

ISS UnProto mode

The ISS PMS (Personal Mail System) supports the Digital-repeating mode
called UnProto.  I am not going to get into too much detail about
UnProto, for more information check Amateur radio handbooks and back
issues of Amateur Radio magazine.  Basically UnProto is a way of sending
packet messages without requiring an acknowledgment from the other
station.  This mode is similar to RTTY in that, you can have several
stations in one big QSO at the same time.  Set your UnProto command in
your TNC, on my KAM the syntax is "U CQ V R0ISS".  Then switch to
Converse mode (enter K at cmd: prompt).  Now everything you type will be
transmitted in UnProto Mode.  If the ISS station hears your
transmission, the ISS PMS Digi will rebroadcast your information with a
range of over a 1000 miles.

Snip from this weeks ISS
Don't let the asterisk * after the call sing fool you.  The call is not
NOCALL*
It is NOCALL.  The * means the packet was repeated by the station with
the * after the call sign.