RE: ISS Packet System

 "NOCALL" is the Keyboard port - not the "PMS" - and also is the default
for the digi.

 On some TNC's NOCALL is filtered out so watch your TNC prams.

 There should be NO problems with APRS useing NOCALL as a digi.

 The only problem I can see with this "setup" is if hams con to NOCALL - this
might use up the TNC buffer if there is no computer att. to it and thus lock up
"NOCALL" Key board port.

 Lets also hope That the ECHO pram is turned off  -

 Guss main thing - lets have fun and see what happens..

Dave
 N6CO

To validate that the packet system is still operational, but with a dead
battery, we have asked the crew to turn the packet system on and tune to
145.80 down/145.99 up.  I ran a test on two passes last night and have
validated that the packet system is active.  The first opportunity occurred
at 00:54 (on April 8).  Excerpts of this opportunity are shown below:

cmd:c nocall
cmd:NOCALL>KA3HDO <UA>

Before and after the pass, I tried to connect to nocall to no avail.  So it
appears to not be a local thing.

On the next pass (2:32 UTC), I tried again with the results shown
below.  You can see that the digi is on...I was digipeating through ISS to
K3XO-1 (Rip Smith).  One conclusion that can be made from this is that APRS
operations appear feasible when the ISS packet system is on.

cmd:c nocall
cmd:NOCALL>KA3HDO <UA>
*** CONNECTED to NOCALL

cmd:d
cmd:NOCALL>KA3HDO <UA>
*** DISCONNECTED

cmd:c k3xo-1 via nocall
cmd:KA3HDO>K3XO-1,NOCALL* <C>

I would be interested in getting other reports from other hams on
this....particularly the APRS advocates in the fold.

Bottom line....it appears that the packet system is alive and appears to be
able to support APRS, but without the parameters we installed prior to
flight.  The ARISS team will continue to work with  Expedition 2 crew to
get the packet parameters installed so that the packet system fully configured.

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO

ps to Tom Clark, W3IWI--do I get a QSL with a gold ISS on it for working
ISS packet?