Re: question

>From: Matt Henderson <kb3drq@yahoo.com>
>To: sarex@AMSAT.Org
>CC: sarex@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: [sarex] question
>Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:31:04 -0700 (PDT)
>

>  For a while I thought that when I read many reports aboutr
>satellites and such that thge word "attitude" was just a
>typo.
>

>   What is attitude?
>
>   What is the difference betwenn altitude and attitude?
>

>=====
>73 DE Matt, KB3DRQ
>Amateur Callsign: KB3DRQ
>SKYWARN SPOTTER ID: NKM-063

lets talk about airplanes because they are more familier.

Altittude is the height in feet above Mean sea level.  So to say an airplane
is at 35,000 feet (or FL 350) means that it is 35000 feet above mean sea
level (differences in pressure and absolute ignored here and are not
important for this discussion).

Attitude is the relationship of the airplane to the horizon in the pitch and
roll axis and to the velocity vector (or direction of flight in simplest
terms) for yaw.

Pitch and roll are easiest to understand.  If an aircraft is 3 degrees nose
up that means that the nose is three degrees to the horizon.  So when an
airplane takes off its nose typically goes from "level" to in some cases 18
to 25 degrees as the airplane leaves the runway.  Thats pitch.

Roll is the relationship to "wings level" on the horizon.  So a 30 degree
bank means that an airplane is in a left or right bank with 30 degrees
relationship to the horizon.

YAW in simplest terms is when "the pointed end" (the nose) isnt going
"forward" ie the aircraft is canted to one side of the dirction of flight.

Those are quite simple definitions.

A spacecraft does all three of those things as well although the horizon of
the earth is not the base line used for the reference. (and neither is it
strictly in an airplane but the difference is not important).

Questions?

Robert Oler WB5MZO (I am a test pilot BTW)...