Re: Mir

John,

WRT the Mir re-entry....I hope that you do not see the re-entry in the
UK.  I really hope that very few get to witness this event first hand.  The
reason I say that is that if you see the re-entry in the UK, it means that
pieces of Mir will most likely rain over the European continent.  This,
indeed, would be a major disaster.

In June of last year, my team at NASA Goddard was responsible for
re-entering the most massive spacecraft ever deployed by the space shuttle,
the Gamma Ray Observatory.  We worked very hard to make sure that this
spacecraft re-entered the Earth's atmosphere over the Pacific so that all
its pieces landed in un-inhabitable parts of the Pacific ocean, south of
Hawaii.  The only people that witnessed this event were some that saw the
re-entry from the Hawaiian islands using telescopes and some aircraft-based
cameras that validated that the spacecraft did re-enter where predicted.  I
will tell you from experience that re-entering a spacecraft is not an easy
job.  A few seconds delay or minor changes in spacecraft thrusting can send
the spacecraft on a significantly divergent course than was
planned.  Remember that a spacecraft is moving at 7.5 km/sec so small
errors make big changes in the groundtrack.

As a individual that was responsible for flight qualifying the RF filter
used in the Mir ham radio system, I will feel the loss with many others in
the ham community when Mir re-enters.  However, for everyones sake, let's
all hope that Mir will land in uninhabitable waters.

Great question John!

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO