RE: Shuttle Lands

>From: "John Stone" <jstone@sofnet.com>
>To: "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>
>Subject: RE: [sarex] Shuttle Lands
>Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:52:05 -0600
>

>Good points Bob ....
>
>I'm an old F-4 guy myself, who occasionally lowered myself to talk with a
>brown shoe ... Korat RTAB 1967-8
>
>Man .. up for 13 days... to fly for 3 minutes ... not my cup of tea...
>John
>K0UWT

Thanks... The PHabulous Phantom...what a great airplane.  I never got to
flyit as a unit (they were gone when I got there) but while at Grad school
the guard unit in the city I was at had them and I got to fly with them (as
did my first wife who was killed a few year later).

Absolutly wonderful plane.  You however got to fly it during "exciting
times".  The stuff you guys did is legendary...  What suprised me about the
PHab is that there are still some flying in USN and USAF airports.

The other day I was at Norfolk and was walking around on the flight line
when I heard this sound overhead...I stopped and told the person walking
with me..words to the effect of "that can only be one sound" and like that
fish that occassionally is caught in nets and been extinct for centuries
overhead well there was that shape...

On topic.  My personal take is that we are as a hobby being had by NASA with
the whole SAREX/Station gig.  In the end the school contacts make little
difference wheather they are over a phone line or even if they were on the
internet as far as the kids go.  BUT they are the contacts that the strows
make unless you have someone who is a die hard ham or really lonely.

I dont know what they have "cost" in terms of real money (not NASA money
that has been used to do the task) and time but it has to be enormous.  IN
the meantime there is not a lot of "real" ham radio going on there...like a
transponder or whatever.  Getting the ham license now is for the strows
simply just another check off.  Most ofthem "know" terribly little about ham
radio or really care about it.

OH well mine is probably a unique viewpoint (grin).

Robert Oler

Do you fly now?