ISS Packet testing?

Hello,

During the last ISS pass over the USA (~1715Z) I heard what
sounded like bursts of 1200 baud FSK packet, interspersed with
Russian-language voice, on the 143.625 frequency.

Perhaps they were setting up the packet system?  Unfortunately
their modulation level was too high, and I could not demodulate
anything.  I tried adjusting my modem, but they stopped transmitting
before I was finished.

Doug
NA1DB

P.S.:  Does the 143.625 downlink seem to generally be over-modulated,
at least by ham standards?