N4ISS Certificates finished!

"Happy New Year 2001 to All"

I finished all the certificates I've received so far, and will mail out
over 250 tomorrow, January 2, 2001.

We had a three winners for the ARISS tee-shirts, with eight ISS points
each!

The Winners are:
Gerry Farmer "VE6GP" Alberta, Canada
Joe Thompson "W4CTH" Pawleys Island, SC
Major Keith E. Brandt, MD "WD9GET" Wichita, KS

Thanks to all for the great interest in the ISS special event!

Just a reminder for those who haven't mailed in for their certificate
Please include a 55 cent 9 x 12 envelope, folding will leave a white mark
on the photocopy.
Don't worry, I didn't ruin the one's that came in standard size SASE's -
I put them into 9 x 12's

I heard the crew on wishing Happy New Year on 143.625 yesterday at 1208
Moscow time.
Below is the ISS Status report with Bill Shepards Wonderful Log for 2001

Tnx agn, 73, Good will to all mankind & Happy New Year 2001
Al Lark - KD4SFF
kd4sff@amsat.org
Experimenters Group ARC -N4ISS
301 Shannon Dr.
Greenville, SC 29615-1814
n4iss@amsat.org
http://www.N4ISS.homestead.com

2000
Report # 64
1 p.m. CST, Sunday, December 31, 2000
Mission Control Center, Houston, Texas

INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION STATUS REPORT #64
Expedition One Crew
Sunday, December 31, 2000 – 1 p.m. CST

Having spent a quiet holiday weekend in orbit aboard the International
Space Station (ISS) Alpha, the Expedition One crew members maintained a
Naval New Year’s tradition as they prepared to begin their tenth week in
space.

With crewmates Yuri Gidzenko and Sergei Krikalev at his side, Alpha
Commander Bill Shepherd, a U.S. Navy Captain, provided a poem he wrote on
board, capturing his thoughts and reflections, as he and his shipmates
ushered in 2001.

It is Naval tradition for the person on duty at the helm of a ship to
provide an entry into the ship’s log at the turn of the New Year.
Shepherd wrote the following:

“In longstanding naval tradition, the first entry in a ship’s log for the
New Year is always recorded in prose.  We would like to share with all,
the entry being made in the log tonight as ‘Alpha’ salutes the New Year”—

SHIP’S LOG 0000 01 JAN 2001

We sail onboard space station “Alpha”
Orbiting high above Earth, still in night
Traveling our destined journey
beyond realm of sea voyage or flight

A first New Year is upon us
Eight strikes on the bell now as one
The globe spins below on its motion
Counting the last thousand years done.

15 midnights to this night in orbit
A clockwork not of earthly pace
Our day with different meaning now
In this, a new age and place

We move with a speed and time
Past that which human hands can tell
Computers programmed—like boxes
Where only thoughts’ shadows dwell

“Central post” our ship’s bridge aboard
Screens dancing shapes in pale glow
We guide her course by electronic pulse
In figures no compass could show

Our panels set as sails to the Sun
With wake not ever seen but there
Only gyros feel the silent tugs
Wisps, swirls of such ocean rare

On this ship’s deck sits no helm now
Rudder, sheet, and rig long since gone
But here still-- a pull to go places
Beyond lines where sky meets the dawn

Though star trackers mark Altair and Vega
Same as mariners eyed long ago
We are still as wayfinders of knowledge
Seeking new things that mankind shall know.

We commend to crews that will follow
Merit of the good ship we sail
Let Sun shine strong on Alpha’s wings
A symbol, and bright star we long hail.

The crew members spent a relaxing New Year’s Eve holding private
conferences with their families as they gear up for a busy week of
biomedical experiments and preparations for the next Shuttle assembly
flight to the ISS which is scheduled for launch the third week in
January.

The International Space Station Alpha continues to orbit the Earth in
excellent shape at an altitude of 230 statute miles as it enters its
fourth calendar year of existence.

The Johnson Space Center newsroom is closed and will reopen on Tuesday,
January 2, 2001 at 8 a.m. Central time.

The next Expedition One status report will be issued on Wednesday, Jan.
3, or sooner, if developments warrant.

-END-

NASA Johnson Space Center Shuttle Mission/Space Station Status Reports
and other information

are available automatically by sending an Internet electronic mail
message to

majordomo@listserver.jsc.nasa.gov. In the body of the message (not the

subject line) users should type "subscribe hsfnews" (no quotes). This
will add the email address

that sent the subscribe message to the news release distribution list.
The system will reply

with a confirmation via E-mail of each subscription. Once you have
subscribed you will

receive future news releases via e-mail.

the body of a message (without the quotes) to
majordomo@listserver.jsc.nasa.gov