Burbank School Contact

All,

Those that have listened in directly or through MSNBC know that the school
group contact with the ISS Crew and the Burbank School did not go as
planned.  As many heard, the crew were on the assigned downlink.  The
school students and the radio team also heard Bill Shepard on the downlink,
but were unable to establish the contact.

Right now it is not explicitly clear what event or events caused the missed
opportunity.  A debrief with the radio team uncovered a number of things
that will significantly improve the possibility of success at the next
opportunity.  We will also be discussing this with the crew to understand
their perspective.  The ARISS team is working toward a subsequent
opportunity for Burbank very soon (potentially as early as sometime this
week).  As we get more information, we will provide it to you.

I had an opportunity to witness the attempted contact.  I am very glad I
did.  It was exciting to see the students all prepared and excited.  The
entire school, K through 8, have spent months learning about the space
program.  The teachers have assigned them projects related to space.  They
have build their own Shuttles & Space Stations and have learned about
amateur radio, orbits, and life aboard the International Space
Station.  The whole community, teachers, students, and Charlie Sufana's
(AJ9N) radio team have banded together as one cohesive team.  The students
were disappointed, but understand that this is an Experiment and are
looking forward to a future opportunity.

Regarding school group operations, I think we are all relearning some
things that we honed to almost perfection on the Shuttle and Mir
programs.  I personally learned some things that we will use to improve the
program.   The entire ARISS team, those present and those listening from
afar, have taken good notes and will factor these into future school group
contacts.  Our vision is to get back to the 95+% success rate that we had
achieved late in the Shuttle and Mir programs.

Stay tuned.

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
AMSAT-NA V.P. for Human Spaceflight Programs