Hi all,
I read an interesting story in this months CQ magazine (Feb. 2001).
Its called Amateur Radio communications in Piloted Cosomonautics.
It is the Russians view on the importance of Amateur Radio
in space (Mir and ISS).  The Russian cosmonauts have a 40
hour training class on ham radio, humm, I wonder how
much time the other countries spend training their crews
in Amateur Radio communications.

There is one group photograph of several cosmonauts
posing in front of a few a ham projects.  I could not tell
exactly what the products were, so I email'd WF1F and he sent me
this.

Hi Wayne:

The picture you mentions was taken last spring during the grand
opening of the new Club amateur radio station in Mission control.
There are at least 11 cosmonauts in this picture:

Sitting from left to right - Sergei Avdeev, A. Alexandrov, G.
Strekalov, G. Padalka.
Stand -the 2nd Musa Manarov, 6-N.Budarin, 7-A. Ivanchenkov, 9- A.
Polestchuk,
10-A.Lazutkin, 11- V. Korzun, 12- P. Vinogradov.

The equipment from left to Right.

MAREX SSTV project, including  a Tasco SSTV codec and display, on top
is the Kenwood TM-V7A. The TM-V7A was used as the SSTV tranciever.

The ball with the 4 antennas is the Sputnik RS-17/18 backup (RS-20 not
flown)
by Amsat france.

To the right of the Sputnik are 3 devices.  The bottom is a Kantronics
KPC-9612
TNC.  MIREX/MAREX few this modem to Mir in 1998.
Above the TNC is a Kenwood TM-733.  This was primary radio used for
voice and packet
on Mir from aprox 1997 - 2000, flown by SAFEX.
The box on top of the 733 is some type of TNC, model unknown.