Fwd: How to work iss, updated

Forwarded Message:
> De: Unknown
> Para: "Miles Mann" <Miles.Mann@ind.alcatel.com>
> Tema: [sarex] How to work iss, updated
> Fecha: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:20:20 -0500
> -----
>
> Hi all,
> i had a new typo-errors in my last frequncy memo.
> here is an updated version.
> I hope i found all of the bugs.
> thanks for the keen eyes that found the errors.
> Miles WF1F
>

> Space Station Alpha  gets a new Amateur Radio call sign
> January 25, 2001
>
> By Miles Mann WF1F,
> MAREX-NA (Manned Amateur Radio Experiment, North American
Division)

> Space Station Alpha  gets a new Amateur Radio call sign:
> The ISS ALPHA is keeping the international flair by hosting
several
> amateur radio call signs from around the world.  So far the ISS
ALPHA
> has four calls signs from three different countries, Russia, USA
and
> Germany. Also each of the crewmembers of expedition 1, has their
own
> personal Amateur Radio call sign.  The newest call sign is now
R0ISS  (R
> Zero ISS).  The new call sign will become the official call sign
of the
> Space station.  You can expect the ISS crew to be using this
call sign
> on both voice and packet operations.  The new Club call signed
was
> issued by the Russian government on December 12, 2000.
>
> William Shepherd, Expedition commander, KD5GSL
> Yuri Gidzenko, Soyuz commander (unknown)
> Sergei Krikalev, flight engineer, U5MIR
> Russian Module call sign:	RZ3DZR / R0ISS
> Other club call signs ISS used: NA1SS, DL0ISS  and ALPHA
>
> Ground Station Link:
> What will you need to Hear the ISS ALPHA Amateur Radio 2-meter
Station.
> That's a tricky question because there are good orbit pass and
poor low
> orbit passes.  On a good 45 degree orbit pass, since the ISS
ALPHA is
> only 250 miles high, you will be able to hear the 2-meter signal
from
> the space station with a very small antenna (0 dBd  to  minus 12
dBd
> (rubber duck)).  During a very low orbit passes under 20 degrees
you may
> need a much larger antenna.
> The Amateur Radio station on ISS ALPHA will be transmitting in
the
> satellite 2-meter band (ITU 144.000 - 146.000 mc).  I have
listed a
> frequency chart below.  The ISS ALPHA transmitter power output is
> approximately 3 watts, into a pair of co-phased vertical
antennas rated
> at minus 3 dBd.  There is one antenna on each side of the Service
> module.  Both antennas are then connected to a power divider to
split
> the transmit power evenly between the two antennas.  The co-
phased
> installation provides a good transmit and receive patter, with
very
> little blocking of the signals by the bulk of the space station
its
> self. I do not have the coax loss values at this time.  This
combination
> of power and antenna gain will provide an ERP rating of
approximately
> 1.5 watts.  The 1.5-watt value is not that bad, many stations
have
> reported hearing the ISS crew talking to pre-arranged schools
with the
> ISS Amateur Radio station and the signal reports were very
good.  If you
> only have a zero dBd gain antenna and a police scanner you will
still be
> able to hear the ISS ALPHA on some good orbits.  I have even
heard ISS
> with a HT and Rubber duck (not recommended for quality
reception).
> (note:  if your antenna is rated in dB rather than the correct
dBd
> value, subtract 3 to convert the dB value to the correct dBd
rating.
> The higher the dBd rating, the better the antenna.)
>
> Suggested receiving station:
> Casual listening for ISS ALPHA and Mir
> 2-meter vertical or scanner antenna (0 dBd or better)
> Police scanner or amateur radio with the ability to receive in
the 144 -
> 146 mc or MHz range, FM mode.  Antenna cable should be a low
loss RG-8
> style cable less than 100 feet long (RG-213 best choice).  You
will not
> need to mount the antenna very high, just try to get above the
roof
> ridgeline.  And of course you will need to find / buy a satellite
> tracking program.  I recommend the InstantTrack 1.5. It's a
simple easy
> to use program, which can be purchased from Amsat.
> <a
href="http://www.amsat.org/amsat/instanttrack/";>http://www.amsat.or
g/amsat/instanttrack/</a>

> ISS ALPHA frequencies:
> The Amateur Radio frequencies for ISS ALPHA have been posted.
> <a
href="http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/";>http://
spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/</a>

> Worldwide downlink for voice and packet: 145.800
> Worldwide packet uplink: 145.990
> Region 1 voice uplink: 145.200
> Region 2 & 3 voice uplink: 144.490
>
> You will need to dig out the manual for your radio and program
in the
> following frequency combinations.  Note that some of the older
FM mobile
> and Walkie-talkie HT style radios over 15 years old may have some
> difficulty in saving these combinations into memory.  The
channels
> listed below will help you compensate for the speed of the space
> station, called Doppler.  If the smallest channel step your radio
> supports is 5k, then only program in channels 2, 5 and 8.  If
your radio
> supports the smaller 2.5k channel step, then program in all
channels
> listed.  After you have determined your smallest channel step
supported
> by your radio, then program in the channels.  You can either use
the
> procedures for storing ODD-Splits or you can reprogram your
repeater off
> set for each of the channels and then save the new combination
in a new
> memory location. This channel procedure has been successfully
used on
> the Mir Amateur Radio program for years and is the choice of
usage for
> school schedules (you do not want to fiddle with VFO's during a
> 10-minute pass).  I also recommend you program in all channels,
no mater
> what part of the world you live in.  The World Map ISS ALPHA
location
> display used by the ISS ALPHA crew is not located next to the
Amateur
> Radio station.
>
> Voice operations Region 2 & 3 (North and South America and
Pacific)
> Chan	Receive	Transmit	Offset (Meg)
> 1	145.802.5	144.488.5	-1.314
> 2	145.800.0	144.490.0	-1.310
> 3	145.798.5	144.492.5	-1.306
>
> Packet operations Regions 1, 2 & 3 (Europe, North and South
America and
> Pacific)
> Chan	Receive	Transmit	Offset (Meg)
> 4	145.802.5	145.988.5	+0.186
> 5	145.800.0	145.990.0	+0.190
> 6	145.798.5	145.992.5	+0.194
>
> Voice operations Region 1 (Europe)
> Chan	Receive	Transmit	Offset (Meg)
> 7	145.802.5	145.198.5	-0.604
> 8	145.800.0	145.200.0	-0.600
> 9	145.798.5	145.202.5	-0.596
>
> Usage Example:
> Lets assume ISS ALPHA is approaching for a good 10 minute over
head
> pass, running Packet.  When ISS ALPHA comes over the horizon the
Doppler
> frequency error will initially be 3.5k plus 145.990 =
145.993.5.  This
> means the frequency ISS ALPHA will appear to be transmitting on
is
> 145.993.5.  Set your radio to channel #4 for the first 3 minutes
of the
> pass.  Then for the next 3 minutes use channel #5 and for the
last three
> minutes use channel #6.  Follow the same procedure for Voice
> operations.  Since we are using the Mode FM, we do not have to
have our
> Transmit and receive frequency exactly on frequency. We can be
off
> frequency 1-2khz and still get reliable Voice and Data.  The
MAREX-NA
> team has been using this procedure for 10 years with excellent
results.
> Setting your Receive frequency:
> Lets assume ISS ALPHA is approaching for a good 10 minute over
head
> pass, running Packet.  When ISS ALPHA comes over the horizon the
Doppler
> frequency error will initially be 3.5k plus 145.800 =
145.802.5.  This
> means the frequency ISS ALPHA will appear to be transmitting on
is
> 145.802.5.  Set your radio to channel #4 for the first 3 minutes
of the
> pass.  Then for the next 3 minutes use channel #5 and for the
last three
> minutes use channel #6.
>
> Setting your Transmit frequency:
> You will also need to compensate for Doppler on you transmit
frequency,
> however, you need to reverse you thinking.  If the Space station
is
> heading towards you at 17,500 mph, you will now need to subtract
from
> your transmitter the Doppler error to make your transmit signal
show up
> close to the spot the space station receiver is expecting to
hear your
> signal. (The ISS crew will not be compensating for Doppler
frequency
> error, you must compensate).
> Lets assume ISS ALPHA is approaching for a good 10 minute over
head
> pass, running Packet.  When ISS ALPHA comes over the horizon the
Doppler
> frequency error will initially be 3.5k plus.  This value must be
> subtracted from your transmit frequency (3.3 -145.990 =
145.988.5).

href="http://ariss.gsfc.nasa.gov/";>http://ariss.gsfc.nasa.gov/</a>

> Copyright 2001 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document
may be
> freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
> listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be
reproduced for
> profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or
other
> commercial outlets without prior written consent from the
author.
> Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian
Space