How to work iss, updated

Hi all,
i had a new typo-errors in my last frequncy memo.
here is an updated version.
I hope i found all of the bugs.
thanks for the keen eyes that found the errors.
Miles WF1F

Space Station Alpha  gets a new Amateur Radio call sign
January 25, 2001

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Space Station Alpha  gets a new Amateur Radio call sign:
The ISS ALPHA is keeping the international flair by hosting several
amateur radio call signs from around the world.  So far the ISS ALPHA
has four calls signs from three different countries, Russia, USA and
Germany. Also each of the crewmembers of expedition 1, has their own
personal Amateur Radio call sign.  The newest call sign is now R0ISS  (R
Zero ISS).  The new call sign will become the official call sign of the
Space station.  You can expect the ISS crew to be using this call sign
on both voice and packet operations.  The new Club call signed was
issued by the Russian government on December 12, 2000.

William Shepherd, Expedition commander, KD5GSL
Yuri Gidzenko, Soyuz commander (unknown)
Sergei Krikalev, flight engineer, U5MIR
Russian Module call sign:	RZ3DZR / R0ISS
Other club call signs ISS used: NA1SS, DL0ISS  and ALPHA

Ground Station Link:
What will you need to Hear the ISS ALPHA Amateur Radio 2-meter Station.
That's a tricky question because there are good orbit pass and poor low
orbit passes.  On a good 45 degree orbit pass, since the ISS ALPHA is
only 250 miles high, you will be able to hear the 2-meter signal from
the space station with a very small antenna (0 dBd  to  minus 12 dBd
(rubber duck)).  During a very low orbit passes under 20 degrees you may
need a much larger antenna.
The Amateur Radio station on ISS ALPHA will be transmitting in the
satellite 2-meter band (ITU 144.000 - 146.000 mc).  I have listed a
frequency chart below.  The ISS ALPHA transmitter power output is
approximately 3 watts, into a pair of co-phased vertical antennas rated
at minus 3 dBd.  There is one antenna on each side of the Service
module.  Both antennas are then connected to a power divider to split
the transmit power evenly between the two antennas.  The co-phased
installation provides a good transmit and receive patter, with very
little blocking of the signals by the bulk of the space station its
self. I do not have the coax loss values at this time.  This combination
of power and antenna gain will provide an ERP rating of  approximately
1.5 watts.  The 1.5-watt value is not that bad, many stations have
reported hearing the ISS crew talking to pre-arranged schools with the
ISS Amateur Radio station and the signal reports were very good.  If you
only have a zero dBd gain antenna and a police scanner you will still be
able to hear the ISS ALPHA on some good orbits.  I have even heard ISS
with a HT and Rubber duck (not recommended for quality reception).
(note:  if your antenna is rated in dB rather than the correct dBd
value, subtract 3 to convert the dB value to the correct dBd rating.
The higher the dBd rating, the better the antenna.)

Suggested receiving station:
Casual listening for ISS ALPHA and Mir
2-meter vertical or scanner antenna (0 dBd or better)
Police scanner or amateur radio with the ability to receive in the 144 -
146 mc or MHz range, FM mode.  Antenna cable should be a low loss RG-8
style cable less than 100 feet long (RG-213 best choice).  You will not
need to mount the antenna very high, just try to get above the roof
ridgeline.  And of course you will need to find / buy a satellite
tracking program.  I recommend the InstantTrack 1.5. It's a simple easy
to use program, which can be purchased from Amsat.
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/instanttrack/

ISS ALPHA frequencies:
The Amateur Radio frequencies for ISS ALPHA have been posted.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/

Worldwide downlink for voice and packet: 145.800
Worldwide packet uplink: 145.990
Region 1 voice uplink: 145.200
Region 2 & 3 voice uplink: 144.490

You will need to dig out the manual for your radio and program in the
following frequency combinations.  Note that some of the older FM mobile
and Walkie-talkie HT style radios over 15 years old may have some
difficulty in saving these combinations into memory.  The channels
listed below will help you compensate for the speed of the space
station, called Doppler.  If the smallest channel step your radio
supports is 5k, then only program in channels 2, 5 and 8.  If your radio
supports the smaller 2.5k channel step, then program in all channels
listed.  After you have determined your smallest channel step supported
by your radio, then program in the channels.  You can either use the
procedures for storing ODD-Splits or you can reprogram your repeater off
set for each of the channels and then save the new combination in a new
memory location. This channel procedure has been successfully used on
the Mir Amateur Radio program for years and is the choice of usage for
school schedules (you do not want to fiddle with VFO's during a
10-minute pass).  I also recommend you program in all channels, no mater
what part of the world you live in.  The World Map ISS ALPHA location
display used by the ISS ALPHA crew is not located next to the Amateur
Radio station.

Voice operations Region 2 & 3 (North and South America and Pacific)
Chan	Receive	Transmit	Offset (Meg)
1	145.802.5	144.488.5	-1.314
2	145.800.0	144.490.0	-1.310
3	145.798.5	144.492.5	-1.306

Packet operations Regions 1, 2 & 3 (Europe, North and South America and
Pacific)
Chan	Receive	Transmit	Offset (Meg)
4	145.802.5	145.988.5	+0.186
5	145.800.0	145.990.0	+0.190
6	145.798.5	145.992.5	+0.194

Voice operations Region 1 (Europe)
Chan	Receive	Transmit	Offset (Meg)
7	145.802.5	145.198.5	-0.604
8	145.800.0	145.200.0	-0.600
9	145.798.5	145.202.5	-0.596

Usage Example:
Lets assume ISS ALPHA is approaching for a good 10 minute over head
pass, running Packet.  When ISS ALPHA comes over the horizon the Doppler
frequency error will initially be 3.5k plus 145.990 = 145.993.5.  This
means the frequency ISS ALPHA will appear to be transmitting on is
145.993.5.  Set your radio to channel #4 for the first 3 minutes of the
pass.  Then for the next 3 minutes use channel #5 and for the last three
minutes use channel #6.  Follow the same procedure for Voice
operations.  Since we are using the Mode FM, we do not have to have our
Transmit and receive frequency exactly on frequency. We can be off
frequency 1-2khz and still get reliable Voice and Data.  The MAREX-NA
team has been using this procedure for 10 years with excellent results.
Setting your Receive frequency:
Lets assume ISS ALPHA is approaching for a good 10 minute over head
pass, running Packet.  When ISS ALPHA comes over the horizon the Doppler
frequency error will initially be 3.5k plus 145.800 = 145.802.5.  This
means the frequency ISS ALPHA will appear to be transmitting on is
145.802.5.  Set your radio to channel #4 for the first 3 minutes of the
pass.  Then for the next 3 minutes use channel #5 and for the last three
minutes use channel #6.

Setting your Transmit frequency:
You will also need to compensate for Doppler on you transmit frequency,
however, you need to reverse you thinking.  If the Space station is
heading towards you at 17,500 mph, you will now need to subtract from
your transmitter the Doppler error to make your transmit signal show up
close to the spot the space station receiver is expecting to hear your
signal. (The ISS crew will not be compensating for Doppler frequency
error, you must compensate).
Lets assume ISS ALPHA is approaching for a good 10 minute over head
pass, running Packet.  When ISS ALPHA comes over the horizon the Doppler
frequency error will initially be 3.5k plus.  This value must be
subtracted from your transmit frequency (3.3 -145.990 = 145.988.5).
This means the frequency ISS ALPHA will appear to be listening on is
145.988.5.  Set your radio to channel #4 for the first 3 minutes of the
pass.  Then for the next 3 minutes use channel #5 and for the last three
minutes use channel #6.  Follow the same procedure for Voice operations,
just use the channels assigned for your part of the world.  Since we are
using the Mode FM, we do not have to have our Transmit and receive
frequency exactly on frequency. We can be off frequency 1-2khz and still
get reliable Voice and Data.  The MAREX-NA team has been using this
procedure for 10 years with excellent results.

QSL card:
A QSL card is a post card, which you can request to confirm you made a
two-way or heard the crew on the Amateur Radio band.  The QSL procedure
for ISS ALPHA is under development, please check the AIRSS web pages for
the latest updates and QSL procedures for ISS ALPHA.
http://ariss.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Copyright 2001 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F