Remembering Mir

I had the honor of working with some very young cancer patients ( ages 5 -
8) at Camp-make-a-Dream two years ago in Gold Creek, Montana. When the Mir
came over, I fired up packet and sent a howdy to the crew aboard the Mir
from all the youngsters at the Camp.  Many, many thanks fo Dr. Larsen for
relaying my email and explaining Camp-Make-A-Dream to Jean-Pierre who left
the following message on the Mir BBS.

05-Aug-99 11:27:01 CONNECTED to R0MIR-1
[KPC-9612P-8.1-HM$]
33836 BYTES AVAILABLE
THER ARE 26 MESSAGES NUMBERED 586-681
YOU HAVE 1 MESSAGE(S) WAITING
ENTER COMMAND B,J,K,L,R,S,  or Help>
RM
MSG#675 08/05/99 12:14:28 FROM R0MIR TO N6CO
SUBJ: Good trip/Camp Dream
PATH: R0MIR
Dave,
Pressure is increasing by the time we approach the end of the flight. I am
sure the bosses of Emergia would rather add another month of flight if the
potential of our Soyouz would allow it.
I am plesead your back is going better and that at last you and Fran could
enjoy a beauty and smell of the roses. I wish the best to you two.

Concerning the childern at camp dream I fully understand your request and it
is with great pleasure that I join the following:

Dear youg fans of space.
Having turned around the earh already several thousounds of time, I am
impressed as if I had your age by the beauty of the earth. When I look
through the windows, the dramatic lanscape that lean before my eyes, 400km
below the MIR space station are every day newer and more exotics. The more I
look, the more I learn to detect the new shape or location or colours that I
din't memtion the previous time. I am sure if the geography lessons would
allow the young people to look through a space station window, they would
all be fans of this science. I am often thinking of you since Dave and Bill
told me about your fiddicult fight. I hope for all of you the progress you
expect and happyness evry day. With big cheers from space.
French Astronaut Jeaaan-Pierra HAIGNERE

ENTER COMMAND: B,J,K,L,R,S or Help>
KM1 MESSAGE(S) DELETED

I did not want to corr. the spelling - its HARD to type in Zero Grav. --

Each youngster who watched me connect to the Mir station received a copy of
this message. They were all really happy to receive a message from
Jean-Peirre aboard the MIR.

We hams due little things like this to try and make some one's life a little
better and perhaps generate the spark that will give life to a new ham.  Two
of the youngsters that received this message are no longer with us.

Cheers from Montana  Bill K7MT