FW: From the ISS Ship's Log

I work in the Payload Operations and Integration Center (POIC) at Marshall
Space Flight Center (MSFC)
here in Huntsville, AL. We are responsible for all payload operations on
ISS.  We are currently preparing for operations starting in March.  This
email was distributed last week.  Apparently it is an entry from the ships
log.
Once again, amateur radio makes a big impact!
We're getting ready for our first school radio contact
tomorrow, with Burbank School in Chicago.  They sent us an email
describing their preparations for the comm. pass, and we want to share
this with all the troops in the Control Centers who are making "Alpha"
work.  If you ever had the question-"why a space station?"   --this is a
pretty eloquent answer:

". . . .Burbank School is a K-8 school in Burbank, a community located
on the southwest side of Chicago. Our school has a student
population of 700 students.

Since being notified of our ISS contact, our teachers and students
have been very busy with space, space station, and space
exploration topics and activities. Here are just a few things going on
at our school.

Our entire school population participated in a
school wide art contest involving the creation of our Burbank School/ ISS
mission patch. In addition, we held auditions for our team of 12
students with 2 back up students. We ended up with students from a
cross-section of classes. For our questions, we again turned to our
students,
school wide and were surprised at the quantity and quality of questions
received. If you walked into our school today and wandered
down the halls, you would be surprised at the variety of topics,
activities, and displays of work all centered around the ISS mission. Our
school
is vibrating with excitement and activity. Our first graders have been
creating space people
and space capsules. Their themes are "Flying High is Grade One" and
"Adventures in Space". Their bulletin boards reflect the imagination and
creativity only a first grader can have. They even have Winnie the Pooh in a
space suit!	As you walk past classrooms, you can hear students
and teachers alike talking about space, shuttles, space stations, and
what the latest information is about the ISS. Second graders wrote stories
about why they would
like to be an astronaut and then made shuttles out of Pringle
cans. They colored pictures of astronauts and put their own photo in
the helmets. Some built space communities of the future and created
robots that will perform city services. They even wrote laws for
their community. One of our classes created the Cosmic Cafe. Menu items
include Lift-off Lemonade, Space Station Steak, and Pluto Pudding. Students
in the middle grades
were busy imagining they were astronauts working on the space station. They
wrote their own
biographies and included future missions they world like to be
involved with. They tracked the ISS on the web and plotted on a map
where the space station was every 45 minutes. They wrote time lines
comparing our school day to the ISS. Other children wrote poems and made
chalk drawings to accompany their poems.

To prepare for our ISS contact, the junior high
students searched the web for information on the space station. After much
discussion, the students created power point presentations. They
made a ten-slide show, which consisted of one slide telling what the ISS
is, one slide for the astronaut, and one for each cosmonaut on the ISS,
the remaining slides contained information about space and the space
station.
Students are prepared to present this to our audience on the day of
the contact. The power point work was done by our Special Education
students in junior high. Other junior high classes worked on creating a NASA
time line. In Math, students used the distance formula to calculate the
ISS' distance from us here in Burbank. This was done over a period of
several days so students understood the idea that it was moving
constantly. In addition to measuring distance, students also
considered time. They thought about their own future and where they would
be in the year 2030.

By then we will need a new ISS, so some of our future engineers decided to
design
and build the space station of the year 2030. They not only built the model,
they also wrote a paper describing how and where it will be built. Our more
artistic students decided
they would be scientists on the new space station. They proposed that they
were assigned to
gather information using a new high powered telescope.  They then used their
creativity and imagination to draw
what they saw when they looked through the telescope. Some of our students
are very interested in the environment. They decided they would research and
write a paper
describing a particular man-made Earth pollution problem.  They then would
develop a plan for solving the
problem using the technology of the space station.

All classes spent time using many of the websites
that Charlie Sufana shared with us. As our students continued their search,
one site led
to another and their enthusiasm grew proportionately.

We here at Burbank School are ready.----OVER...."
Submitted by Rita Wright, Burbank School