Re: Webcam

Hi Mike:

That's one of the ideas we have been thinking about at MAREX
for the past few years.  In 1996 I ran a demo for ARISS
from the nasa mock-ups at JSC simulating a 128-kbit
two way video link (H.320 format).  At that time the cost of the
hardware
was way too expensive for ham usage's, but as we all know
the prices have come down.

We call it Compressed Digital ATV, or CDATV.
CDATV is compatible with web and uses H.323 compression.
H.323 software is coming down in cost, and today's P 500 pc
are fast enough for (30fpm) fast frame rates.
The only items left are a High Speed modem (128 - 384-kbit )
and an affordable wide band FM 70cm Radio ( 100 - 400 kc bandwidth).
(In 5-7 years we will all have CDATV from our 70cm mobile radios)

We have a few volunteers actively looking into the hardware and video
software.  This theory is still 2-4 years away from flying.
However, if anyone has the time and money, the process could be
speed up.  I have located a major supplier of H.323 software who
is interested in helping, if we can come up with the radios.

73 Miles WF1F MAREX

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/DigitalATVcompairasion.htm