RE: Burbank retry attempt Dec. 21 at 20:29UTC

David & Others:

Several on the SAREX reflector have asked what happened during the Burbank
School, Burbank, Illinois first attempt.

I think Charlie & I addressed this, but I will reiterate.

The school heard the ISS crew but was not able to make the uplink
connection.  There appears to be several factors that could lead to the
missed opportunity.  The weather was certainly a factor in this.  The
Chicago area has been hit with several very strong snow storms the past
couple of weeks.  They also have had bitterly cold weather with sub-zero
wind chill.  These occurred while the team was setting up the
station---most importantly the antennas on the roof.  Cable/connector
issues and the movement (slipping) of the antennas azimuth/elevation
antennas are areas that will be addressed this morning.  Another potential
factor is the audio distribution/mic gain.  All these issues will be
checked through several end-to-end tests today.  The Burbank ground station
team have made several other improvements to their setup which should
improve the success of the contact.

The contact is now set for 20:29 UTC (2:29pm  CST) today, December 21.  You
can hear the contact direct on 145.80 MHz or through MSNBC at:

http://www.msnbc.com/m/lv/default.asp

I hope you join me in wishing the best of luck to the school, students,
teachers and ground station at the Burbank School.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
ARISS Chairman