RE: Discone Antenna

> Van: Bruce Bostwick [mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu]
>

> >   Has anyone had much luck using a Radio Shack Discone Antenna for
> >reception of the weather satellites. I am not having much
> luck here at N 71
> >degrees 17.13', W 156 degrees 45.96'.
> >
> >Thank You
> >Thomas Elmore
> >Barrow,Alaska
> >KA1NVZ
>
> A discone won't be very useful for satellite reception, since it's
> omnidirectional *and* omnifrequency.  If you need a wideband
> antenna, a
> log-periodic will at least give you some directionality, but
> as weak as
> satellite signals are, a monoband Yagi (for linear
> polarization) or helical
> (for circular polarization) will probably be the best solution.  The
> discone does have the advantage that it doesn't have to be
> aimed at the
> satellite, but you're going to need a lot more antenna gain,
> plus possibly
> a preamp, to hear the satellite.

Don't forget that a discone is a vertikal groundplane ant so you lose a lot
of signal at higher elevation (as mutch as -100dB direct overhead).

I have seen many wx stations using qaudrofilar antennas, they don't seem to
hard to build so look into that as wel.

> <BGB>
>              Bruce Bostwick  N5VB  Austin, TX  Grid EM10DH
>     ARRL / UT ARC / Austin ARC / Travis Co. ARES / W5YI Vol. Examiner
>    http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~lihan/  mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

73 de Andre PE1RDW
aprsdigi co-ordinator Netherlands
member aprs workgroup Netherlands