ISS-"ALPHA"on 143.625 at 1730UTC Pass 11/03/00 from CN-80 (N. CA)

On 11/03/200 at 1730UTC I copied FM Voice traffic  in English and Russian on
143.625mhz,  about the "location of VELCRO squares,"etc. The ISS broke my
squelch and was copied for about 5 minutes. My location in Northern CA
mountains is CN-80. 50 Miles West of Redding, CA at 2400'. (Greg Greenwood-
WB6FZH).

Reception about same duration (about 5 min) and strength using a Kenwood
TM-251a w/ extended.RX and an Eggbeater 38" above metal roof   OR   Radio
Shack Scanner PRO-2026  with RS broadband Scanner Antenna (30-1200mhz) at 20'
that  has the Ham band TX capability. Note: I  do NOT recommend purchasing
this RS antenna as it has poor mechanical design but does work pretty good,
just for INFO.

It was great to hear "ALPHA" for first time in CA. In recent years I was
living in BL-11 on Oahu, Hawaii, and 143.625 from MIR was not used much in
that footprint as Mainland US was about 2 degrees above their horizon at my
North Shore Pacific location (edge of Kaneohe Bay). I was "spoiled" out there
with great opportunities for MIR Space Station communications without
"Mainland" USA QRM, etc. There are only a few stations in KH6 (Hawaii) that
were actively using MIR's digipeater, SSTV,and voice contacts.

 N6CO and KH6/WB6FZH did make trans-Pacific MIR "Digi Contact" with less than
2 degrees above the horizon on each end with a 20 second window a couple
times that was a thrill. I can hardly wait for "ALPHA"'s Amateur Radio
Activity to start. Good luck to us all in monitoring and communicating with
ISS, "Alpha".  Good Health and Luck to all aboard ISS.

72/73-  Greg Greenwood, WB6FZH
Weaverville, CA CN-80
(FO-20/29, UO-14, AO-27, RS Sats & HF QRP)
http://members.aol.com/greg6fzh/