Mir Fate

Russian Space Heads to Meet on Mir Station's Fate

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian space officials will hold a ''decisive'' meeting
this week that could spell the end -- or a new life -- for the accident-prone
Mir space station, a Russian Space Agency spokesman said Tuesday.

Sergei Gorbunov told Reuters officials would meet on Thursday to decide
whether to recommend to the government that Mir be left in space or brought
down into the Pacific Ocean in a ball of fire.

``We certainly see this as a deciding moment. In the end the government will
make the final decision, but it will be based on our recommendations,''
Gorbunov said in a telephone interview.

``The government trusts us and will give full weight to whatever we
recommend.''

Deputy Prime Ministers Ilya Klebanov and Alexei Kudrin made announcements in
early October that seemed to indicate that the government favored ditching
the 15-year-old space station.

Gorbunov said the key question hanging over Mir was the government's ability
to come up with millions of dollars needed to keep it in orbit.