Mir status aug 14,

Mir  status report

August 14, 2000

Survivor on MIR!
Mir crews trained for 2001
New Amateur Radio satellite

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Mir:
The Mir Station is currently unmanned and all of the amateur radio
equipment is turned OFF.  The next manned mission to Mir is scheduled
for December/January.  There are two Mir crews currently training for
Mir missions in 2001 and possibly a third Mir crew.  This would fill out
the whole year for Mir.  There are big plans for a 15th birthday of the
Mir space station in February 2001.  I was informed by the Sergei
Samburov chief of the Cosmonaut Amateur Radio Department at RSC Energia,
that the new Mir crews will be trained on the operations of the Amateur
Radio equipment (packet, SSTV, etc).

Mir Survivor:
Yes its true.  I just finished up my weekly telecon to RSA Energia; it
seems the contracts have been signed for a Mir Survivor contest.  Heres
how it was explained to me (via a translator).  The American producer
will select 15 candidates for the Survivor contest.  The contestant's
will go to Russia for Cosmonaut training.  I assume they will have a
typical number of contests and gimmicks, etc.
Then the number of contestants will be reduced the Russians? will select
the best candidate for a trip to Mir.  The tentative date for the
mission is the end of 2001.

MIR, new ham satellite:
One of the Progress cargo rockets going to Mir next year, is planning on
carrying a small Amateur Radio satellite named Kollibri.  This satellite
will have a life span of 4-6 months.  It will be launched from the
Progress rocket after it is in a Mir orbit.  The satellite will then
free fall back to earth over the next 4-6 months.  The satellite is
equipment with telemetry equipment and a digital voice recorder, and
solar panels.  The web page and some of the specific details have been
posted at the address below, the web page is currently only in Russian
http://www.iki.rssi.ru/kollibri/missija1.htm

Mir to ISS Amateur Radio links?
In 2001 both space stations will be manned.  And since both are
equipment with amateur radio equipment there are tentative plans to
setup radio schedules between the two space stations.  Both space
stations are in approximately the same orbit.  Depending on the actual
orbit positions the duration's of radio links can be anywhere from a few
minutes to several hours.  MAREX/MIREX experimented with Shuttle to Mir
links a few years ago with good results.  On at least two occasions the
Shuttles crews were able to chat with the Mir crews as the two speeding
rockets flew past each other.

QSL Cards:
The new Mir QSL cards have been delivered to the QSL managers in the USA
and Russia. I will send another memo later, when the QSL managers are
ready to accept new QSL card requests.  A sample of a draft card is
posted on the MAREX Web page.  The Russian QSL manager has a back log of
over 500 QSL cards waiting to be answered.  They have begun the process
of responding with the new Mir QSL cards.  Thank you for your patients.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirQSLPageIndex.html

The MAREX web moved to a new server.  It is still on line at the same
address, but I have not had time to update the data this month.

Corrections:
I mis typed a few numbers in my last few memos.
The space walk to install the ISS Service Module Amateur Radio antennas
is tentatively panned for the summer 2001.
And the STS-106 is September 8th, 2000

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F