Re: Shuttle Status

All,

Some of you may be wondering why Roy Neal is sending out the attached
Shuttle Process Status report.  As Miles Mann said last week, the primary
Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) antenna ports were
delivered to ISS with the Launch and docking of the Service Module last
week.  With the docking of the Service Module complete, the next phase in
the development and installation of the ham radio gear on ISS is the launch
and installation of the Initial, Phase 1 amateur radio station.  This is
expected to occur on the next Shuttle Flight, STS-106, described in the
Shuttle Process Status Report.

The initial station will include 2 meter and 70 cm Ericsson handheld radios
(5-6 watts output), a Paccom pico-packet TNC, a specially developed David
Clark headset, a signal adapter module, specially developed radio power
adapters and the interconnecting cabling.

The antenna systems that the Italian/Russian/US team have developed for the
Service Module are ready but cannot be installed (by EVA) until later next
year.  In the meantime, the ARISS international team has gotten permission
to use the Zarya (FGB) Sirius antennas on 2 meters.

Last week, in particular, was a tremendous week for the ARISS program.

We have been working for years to bring the first ISS hardware to
fruition.  It looks like the final issues that have held us back are now
over.  We are moving ahead toward the launch of the initial hardware on
STS-106 and its stowage in the FGB.  STS-106 is currently scheduled for
launch on September 8.  The first crew will arrive around October 30.  Once
on-board, they will connect the hardware to the Sirius antenna and set up
the station in the FGB.  The first (Expedition 1) crew will be launched on
Soyuz and dock with the ISS.

This has been an effort that has required a significant amount of patience,
persistence and hard work by all the ARISS team members and the space
agencies all over the world.

The events that occurred last week included:

1)  The previously stated launch and docking of the Service Module which
will eventually house our station

2)  The successful completion of a series of tests in Moscow.  It should be
noted that Lou McFadin, W5DID, from AMSAT-NA, Carolynn Conley, KD5JSO, from
NASA, and Sergej Samburov, RV3DR, from AMSAT-RU were instrumental in making
these successful tests happen.  These tests included RF and power-up tests
in the flight equivalent Service Module at the Energia facility and the
flight equivalent FGB module at the Krunichev facility.  As a result of the
testing, the Russian teams (Energia & Krunichev) have concurred that we are
ready for launch.

3)  The approval by NASA of our flight safety package.  The final
certificate of safety compliance was signed late last week.  The NASA
safety team at JSC gave the approval for launch on STS-106 of the ARISS
hardware which is stowed within Spacehab.  Shuttle Rollout occurs within
the week!

I am down in Houston for the press briefings that are scheduled  for this
Wednesday.  We have generated the following materials for the briefing.

http://sarex.gsfc.nasa.gov/~ariss/PressBriefings/STS-106%20Press%20Briefing.htm

We will continue to keep you posted on our progress.

Wish us the best of luck in the weeks ahead.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
AMSAT-NA V.P. for Human Spaceflight Programs