Iss Mir status July 18, 2000

Mir / ISS status report

July 18, 2000

Zarya and Zvezda docking scheduled for July 25 / 26.

By Miles Mann WF1F,

The third module of the ISS was successfully launched on July 12 from
the Baikonur Cosomodrome in Kazakhstan.  The Zvezda module is currently
flying in orbit, slowly closing in on the two existing modules of the
ISS.  After this module successfully docks, there will be a sufficient
number of ISS modules to allow a full time crew to move in, later this
November.  The service module is now called Zvezda (Star in Russian).
This module is of great interest to the Amateur Radio community because
it is the module with the four (4) antenna port feed-through
connections.  (No antennas connected at this time) And this is the
module where most of the Amateur Radio equipment will be located.

For more information about the modules current in flight, please read
the NASA link below:

NASA Tracking of ISS
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

Module overview
http://www.shuttlepresskit.com/ISS_OVR/assembly2_overview.htm

Time-Line:
Here is a NASA link for the proposed time line.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/assembly/flights/chron.html

Visible:
The ISS modules will be visible in the evening sky over Western Europe
this week. (please check your tracking program for times for your
location).  From July 18- 25 you will be able to see the Zvezda module
chasing the ISS modules.  Each day the modules will get closer.  Then on
the last day the ISS module will dock with the Zvezda module.  At the
present time (July 17) the two modules are 14 minute apart.  The Zvezda
module will pass by first, followed by the Zarya module 14 minutes
later.  I am interested to know if anyone will attempt to photograph the
two ships chasing each other?

ISS (ZARYA)
1 25544U 98067A   00199.48583596  .00060514  00000-0  55143-3 0  8409
2 25544  51.5812 345.1953 0004902 187.4580 279.9646 15.67300263 94685
ISS (ZVEZDA)
1 26400U 00037A   00199.59550304  .00112274  15287-4  46002-3 0   251
2 26400  51.5800 345.4212 0050747 101.2875 259.3905 15.83837845   860

Mir:
Mir is currently unmanned and is flying in automatic mode.  The next Mir
crew is scheduled to fly to Mir in December 2000.  I was informed the
new crew had already received training on the Amateur Radio Packet and
SSTV projects.  I am sorry , I miss placed the crew names.  An
additional Mir crew is also in training for Spring 2001.

QSL Cards:
The new Mir QSL cards have arrived from the printers and are being
distributed to the QSL managers.  I will send another memo later, when
the QSL managers are ready to accept new QSL card requests.  A sample of
a draft card is posted on the MAREX Web page.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirQSLPageIndex.html

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F