Re: BEST satellite radio 736

Howdy,

I would like to echo the comments on the Yaesu 736R. For satellite work it is
a nice rig to use. I also have a Yaesu FT-847. I prefer the 736R for analog
work and the 847 for the digital side. For weak signal work and especially in
crowded "contest" type conditions, the stock 736R falls short. Its
selectivity is pretty poor when you're dealing with kilowatt stations around
you. One way to improve the performance is to add the muTek mods. These mods
make it a decent radio. I've used a muTek modified 736R contesting for years
on 2, 222, 432 and 1296 and it works.

You don't run into too many "kilowatt" type signals when you're running
satellite, but weak signal can be a factor. Once again the muTek mods help.
It's especially noticeable on 432 where the noise floor reduction is quite
dramatic. Add to this a good helical frontend, adjustable gain, mastmount
preamp, and you have a decent receive system.

I find the 847's selectivity to be only fair. It can be helped with the
addition of a third party filter. The INRAD 2.1 KHz SSB filter helped my 847
considerably. I think the biggest thing I noticed was the reduction of agc
pumping when I was trying to work weak station close to a strong station. I
also find I tend to run fast agc during crowded band conditions on the 847
because normal mode doesn't recover fast enough.

One thing I dislike about the 847 is the lack of A/B vfo switching in Sat
mode. On my 736R I can work people with the A vfo and load the B vfo with the
sat's beacon. Then I can instantly switch between the two. (invaluable when
working AO-10). You can't do that with the 847. (unless you computer control
it) I like to check the level of the beacon on the bird I'm operating often
so I can keep my uplink power reasonable.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator