Mir Status April 30, 2000

Mir / ISS status report

April 30 , 2000
By Miles Mann WF1F,

ARISS Meeting:
Last month there was an ARISS (Amateur Radio International Space Station
) meeting in the Netherlands (Holland).  There were over a dozen
representatives from various organizations, AMSAT, IARU and observers
from other groups including NASA, ESA and MAREX-NA.  We were all there
to discuss the progress of the Amateur Radio projects for the ISS.  The
meeting took place at the European Space facility in Noordwijk,
Netherlands.  It was good to see a lot of familiar faces again and meet
our new partners at ESA. The ARISS group will soon publish some official
meeting minutes.
At the present time the only Amateur radio project which is officially
manifested for ISS is the SAREX transportable system.  This system
consists of a pair of commercial grade HT's, power supplies, cables
headset etc.   The HT's are mono band commercial grade radios, one for
2-meters and one for 70cm.   I have been informed the receiver
performance of the commercial gear is much better than standard Amateur
Radio equipment.  Good receivers are a requirement on ISS because there
will be many commercial transmitters operating on ISS at the same time.
Also, there is always the possibility of intermodulation problems caused
by terrestrial transmitters.  (for those of you familiar with the term
Intermod-alley, when you are 200 miles up, the QRM from the
Intermod-allies is not reduced significantly) During the meeting there
were a few project proposals and two product demonstrations of potential
candidates for ISS.  The SAFEX team demonstrated a well designed
multiband transceiver/repeater, which was specifically designed to
operate in a micro-gravity environment.  The new SAFEX transceiver look
awesome, it supported Voice and medium speed digital data (72k bit data
and higher).
The ARISS team allowed me to present the MAREX-NA SSTV proposal and run
a short demo of our current version of SpaceCam1 software.  It seemed
that everyone like the project and the growth potential of the project.
At the present time the SpaceCam1 project is still in the proposal
category.  I am also planning on showing the same demo at the Dayton
Amateur Radio convention this month.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/ISSProjectsIndex.html

MIR Status:
The Russian Space Station is currently manned by Cosmonauts Sergei
Zaletin and Alexander Kaleri. Last week the Mir crew found and fixed a
troublesome air leak.  In order to find the air leak, the Mir crew had
to close the hatch covers to the other  modules to help isolate the
problem.  It was eventually found at the cover of the Specter module and
fixed.  All of the other module hatches have been reopened.
Another cargo rocket has arrived at Mir.  The progress rocket took off
on April 25 and then docked last week. The module contains the usually
stuff, food, fuel etc.

(Normal )Mir Crew Sleep / Wake times:
The Mir crew is back to their normal sleep schedule. The Mir crew is
using a time Sleep/wake cycle which I will call Mir-Time (MT).  Mir-Time
is UTC time plus 3 hours.  Mir-Time does not make any adjustments for
daylight-savings time.
Here is a list of an approximate time schedule for the Mir crew.

Wakeup	MT=7:00 am	UTC=04:00
Breakfast	MT=7:30 am	UTC=04:30
Lunch		MT=12:00pm	UTC=09:00
Dinner		MT=18:00pm	UTC=15:00
Bedtime	MT=22:00pm	UTC=19:00

The Mir crew sleeps from approximately 19:00 UTC, until 04:00 UTC. Mir
crew is awake and working from approximately 04:00 UTC - 18:00 UTC.
Another way to think of it is, take the UTC time and add 3 hours to
equal Mir-time.

Mir Amateur Radio Status:
Intermittent Voice and SSTV on 145.985 FM Simplex (SSTV mode Robot 36).
We are planing to begin testing the Personal Message System soon (packet
mail). There were no reports of any SSTV activity last week.
We are very interested in getting copies of these Mir SSTV JPG images to
post on our web pages.  If you received a good high quality image (with
out much noise) then could you please send the image directly to
MAREX-NA at wf1f@amsat.org
We will save all images and post the best images received each week on
our Mir-shots web page.
Please do not send images to large mailing lists such as SAREX or AMSAT
because they would bog down the internet too much.  I will post the best
on the MAREX-NA web page http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/mirshots/

Suggested Receiving Station for Satellite SSTV Images.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirSSTVStation.htm

MAREX-NA home page
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex

SSTV Repeaters:
The MAREX-NA team has posted some information regarding testing of the
new
SpaceCam1 SSTV software.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/RepeaterOperations.htm

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved. This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web. It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.
DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F