Send me your Mir SSTV Images.

April 26, 2000

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Send me your Mir SSTV Images:
Hello everyone.
The MAREX-NA team is actively collecting the SSTV images send from Mir.
The SSTV system on Mir was operational for a few hours on each of the
following days:
Sunday April 16 (aprox 1500 UTC)
Monday April 17 (aprox 1100 UTC)
Sunday April 23 (aprox 0800 UTC)

We are very interested in getting copies of these Mir SSTV JPG images to
post on our web pages.  If you received a good high quality image (with
out much noise) then could you please send the image directly to marex
at wf1f@amsat.org
We will save all images and post the best images received each week on
our Mir-shots web page.

Please do not send images to large mailing lists such as sarex or amsat
because they would bog down the internet too much.  I will post the best
on the MAREX-NA web page http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/mirshots/

Submission format:
Images must be of good quality, with minimal noise.

Include your full name and information in the email.
Name, call sign, email address, SSTV decoding system, receiving antenna
gain, location where you were when u received the image (state ,
country)

Image format JPG only please
File name:
We will be sorting the images by file name.  It is important for you to
use the recommended format exactly.
M (Date YYMMDD) u (UTC time HHMM) (Your call sign) (Optional short
description) .jpg
Example:
M990621u1627wf1fGreatlakes.jpg
M990621u1631wf1fCrewDrink.jpg
M000423u0821wf1fJogging.jpg

The date and time are in UTC time format.  If your computer uses a Local
time, please convert the time in the file name to the correct UTC date
and time.  The date and time will also help us sort out what activities
were taking place on Mir during the images.  In one 4-shot sequence
from 1999, we could see the Mir crew removing cables and other equipment
while they were getting ready to put Mir to sleep for a few months.

Picture Over-Lay text:
It requested you do not place any over-lay text on the Mir SSTV image.
However, if you must, please keep the number of words small and the
point size the text very small.  Any images with large amount of text
will not be posted.

Example:
April 17, 2000 1535UTC Mir control Room W8ZCF

MIR Status:
The Mir crew began sending SSTV images again last Sunday around 1100 UTC
time for a few hours.  Mir was passing over the western USA, VL land and
South Africa.   The system is expected to be activated Randomly when the
Mir crew has some free time.  For the first few weeks it is expected the
amateur radio experiments will be OFF-The-AIR 95% of the time, until the
Mir crew catches up on their more important experiments.  Please be
patient.

Mir Amateur Radio Status:
Intermittent Voice and SSTV on 145.985 FM Simplex (SSTV mode Robot 36).
We are planing to begin testing the Personal Message System as soon as
the Mir crew has some free time (packet mail).  At the present time the
Mir crew is VERY VERY busy with other projects.

Suggested Receiving Station for Satellite SSTV Images.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirSSTVStation.htm

MAREX-NA home page
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex

SSTV Repeaters:
The MAREX-NA team has posted some information regarding testing of the
new
SpaceCam1 SSTV software.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/RepeaterOperations.htm

Home for Mir SSTV Images:
Hi Everyone:

My name is Miles and I am the Director of Operations at MAREX-NA (Manned
Amateur Radio
Experiment, North American Division). As some of you may have seen, the
Slow Scan TV system on board the Russian Space Station Mir has been
reactivated (part-time).  The system sends out a very strong signal and
can be hear with a very modest Amateur Radio station.  We at Marex-na
believe in the slogan Keep It Simple.

There are may people and school systems which do not have access to
Amateur Radio equipment but would still like to see the images and lean
more about space and living in space. To help improve access to the
images, we are looking for a University to take on the job of being the
official Web page for the large library of images expected to be
arriving from Mir.

These images will need to be collected, sorted, labeled and posted for
easy web access. Each week we expect a percentage of the image, sent to
be received by Amateur Radio stations around the world.  The world will
then be viewing your web to see the latest images from Mir.

If you want to be part of space exploration and help simulate
educational curiosity in children world wide, then we have a job for
you.

Please contact me with your proposal and ability to support such a
project.
73 Miles

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F