Mir status april24,2000

Mir / ISS status report

April 24, 2000

By Miles Mann WF1F,

MIR Status:
The Mir crew began sending SSTV images again last Sunday around 1100 UTC
time for a few hours.  Mir was passing over the western USA, VL land and
South Africa.  So far we have received 3 good images of the Mir crew
working in the Mir module.

If you have received any good quality images from Mir via SSTV, can you
please send them to my email address wf1f@amsat.org
Please do not send images to large mailing lists such as sarex or amsat
because they would bog down the internet too much.  I will post the best
on the MAREX-NA web page http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/mirshots/

One of the reasons for the sporadic amateur radio activity from the Mir
station is because the Mir crew has temporally shifted their SLEEP
CYCLE.  I have posted below the temporary sleep cycle for the Mir crew.

TEMPORARY Mir Crew Sleep / Wake times:
The Mir crew is using a time Sleep/wake cycle which I will call Mir-Time
(MT).  Mir-Time is UTC time plus 3 hours.  Mir-Time does not make any
adjustments for daylight-savings time.

Here is a list of an approximate time schedule for the Mir crew.
Wakeup	MT=10:00 p.m.	UTC=07:00
Bedtime	MT=12:00 Noon	UTC=09:00

Sleep from 09:00 UTC until 19:00 UTC time.

Mir Amateur Radio Status:
Intermittent Voice and SSTV on 145.985 FM Simplex (SSTV mode Robot 36).
We are planing to begin testing the Personal Message System as soon as
the Mir crew has some free time (packet mail).  At the present time the
Mir crew is VERY VERY busy with other projects.

SSTV:
The Mir Space Station has begun activating the amateur radio projects,
including the MAREX-NA SSTV project.  The International Space Station
(Alpha) may also be installing a new MAREX-NA SSTV called SpaceCam1
system as early as Q4 2000.  Now is the time to start getting your
satellite station  ready to transmit and receive Slow Scan Television
signals. I have provided a few web links, which can help you, get your
satellite station ready to receive SSTV images.

Suggested Receiving Station for Satellite SSTV Images.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirSSTVStation.htm

MAREX-NA home page
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex

SSTV Repeaters:
The MAREX-NA team has posted some information regarding testing of the
new
SpaceCam1 SSTV software.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/RepeaterOperations.htm

Home for Mir SSTV Images:
Hi Everyone:

My name is Miles and I am the Director of Operations at MAREX-NA (Manned
Amateur Radio
Experiment, North American Division). As some of you may have seen, the
Slow Scan TV system on board the Russian Space Station Mir has been
reactivated (part-time).  The system sends out a very strong signal and
can be hear with a very modest Amateur Radio station.  We at Marex-na
believe in the slogan Keep It Simple.

There are may people and school systems which do not have access to
Amateur Radio equipment but would still like to see the images and lean
more about space and living in space. To help improve access to the
images, we are looking for a University to take on the job of being the
official Web page for the large library of images expected to be
arriving from Mir.

These images will need to be collected, sorted, labeled and posted for
easy web access. Each week we expect a percentage of the image, sent to
be received by Amateur Radio stations around the world.  The world will
then be viewing your web to see the latest images from Mir.

If you want to be part of space exploration and help simulate
educational curiosity in children world wide, then we have a job for
you.

Please contact me with your proposal and ability to support such a
project.
73 Miles

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F