Mir crew launch today

Mir / ISS status report

April 4, 2000

By Miles Mann WF1F,

MIR Status: Soyuz PM-30 is launched.
The manned Soyuz PM-30 was launched today  en rout to the Space Station
Mir. The new  crew consists of Cosmonauts Sergei Zaletin and Alexander
Kaleri.   The Mir crew is expected to dock with Mir in proximally 48
hours.  This mission is scheduled to last 70 days.  However there is the
option of extending the mission a few extra months.

Mir Amateur Radio Status:
If all goes as planned the Mir Amateur Radio station may be reactivated
between April 7 - 12 on 145.985 FM Simplex (Voice, Packet and SSTV).
We are looking into the possibility of changing the frequency from
145.985 to 145.990 later this summer. The IARU has asked us to review
the new frequency information. The ARISS meeting in the Netherlands was
too short to get into any frequency discussions for Mir. I would like to
get some real-time data from the Mir crew on the interference levels
they are currently experiencing with 145.985 FM simplex. This will help
us better evaluate the IARU 145.990 proposed move.

Mir School Schedules:
MAREX-NA is planning on running a Mir school schedule, possibly as early
as April this year. The MAREX-NA team received a FAX from RSC Energia
authorizing the Schools schedules planned. Of course all school
schedules are biased on the availability of the Mir crew. If the crew
work load is too high, then the school schedules are pushed back until
the crew's have more free time.
The exact date of the April school like will be chosen after the Mir
crew moves into Mir and evaluates their work load. We are also looking
into to the possibility of running the Audio Live over the WEB so that
many schools around the world can listen to the Mir / school Amateur
Radio link. I will publish more information on the Web audio later.
The audio web link format we will try to use will be similar to the web
audio at the MSNBC audio web link below. You may want to test your
current browser to see if it is compatible with the msnbc system. We
still have many more details to work out with the web audio link.
Please stay tuned for more updates.

http://www.msnbc.com/m/lv/default.asp

SSTV:
In a few weeks the Mir Space Station may be activating the amateur radio
projects, including the MAREX-NA SSTV project. The International Space
Station (Alpha) may also be installing a new MAREX-NA SSTV called
SpaceCam1 system as early as Q4 2000. Now is the time to start getting
your satellite station ready to transmit and receive Slow Scan
Television signals. I have provided a few web links, which can help you,
get your satellite station ready to receive SSTV images.
The tentative SSTV/Packet Mir broadcast school is:

Saturday, Sunday and Monday SSTV. 145.985 FM Simplex
Tuesday - Friday 1200 baud AX.25 Packet 145.985 FM Simplex
Suggested Receiving Station for Satellite SSTV Images.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirSSTVStation.htm

MAREX-NA home page
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/index.htm

SSTV Repeaters:
The MAREX-NA team has posted some information regarding testing of the
new SpaceCam1 SSTV software. At the present time there is only one
MAREX-NA SpaceCam1 SSTV repeater on the air, it is the one in Boston on
28.710 USB simplex.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/RepeaterOperations.htm

Mir QSL Update:
The card proofs have been sent to Energia/MAREX-RU for final approval.
We and of course we found an error in the zip code. So it is back again
for another round of approvals. We hope to send the final card to the
printers in April 2000. Note: We are currently out of QSL cards for the
Mir Amateur Radio program.
I would like to thank you all for being patient on getting your QSL
cards. We hope to begin shipping the new cards in Q2 2000. The cards we
are making are just for the Mir crew QSL cards, we are not associated
with any of the special event QSL cards such as Sputnik.
QSL and Diplomas:
The Engineers at MAREX-RU have asked me to query the general public on a
few QSL related topics.
1. QSL Cut off date. Some day in the future, the Russian Space Station
Mir will be retired. The exact date of retirement is not known. As long
as the Mir station can be safely operated and afforded, the Mir program
will continue. The best guess on Mir's retirement date is some where
between 6 - 24 months from now.
After the last crew moves out of Mir, we will need to pick a
cut-off-date for processing QSL cards for the Mir Space Station. After
the cut-off-date, no more QSL cards will be officially issued for Mir. I
have suggested a cut-off-date of 12 months after the official retirement
date for Mir. Does this seem reasonable to the Amateur Radio community.
Your comments on this topic are welcome.
2. Mir QSL Diploma: The engineers at MAREX-RU are also interested in
knowing if the Amateur Radio community is interested in getting an
official Mir QSL Diploma. The rules for getting a diploma have not been
chosen, but here is a rough guess. To get a diploma you would have to
have made approximately 5-10 logged contacts with Mir, in any
combination of modes, Packet (Mail MSG or Digi, 2-way), Voice(2-way),
SSTV RX. You would need to provide photo copies of log information or
SSTV images. There would be most likely be a small fee associated with
the Mir QSL Diploma to cover the cost of manufacturing, handling and
postal fees. I was also informed that there is a good possibility the
diplomas would be hand signed by one of the Mir crew members (signature
of your actual voice contact is not guaranteed ). This proposal is just
in the theory stage to see if there is interest. And we will also need a
club to spearhead this whole project and work closely with MAREX-RU,
AMSAT-RU, and Energia to design and manufacture the diplomas. So, if
your club has the energy to run such a project from beginning to end,
please contact me.
Emal band width: To reduce the amount of bandwidth on the AMSAT
reflectors, please just forward your comments directly to my address and
please avoid the broad cast if possible. Thanks Miles
wf1f@amsat.org

  The MAREX-NA web page has moved to a new location. We will try to keep
the page updated with the latest Mir and ISS amateur radio experiments.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex
Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved. This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web. It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.
DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F