Re: FO-29 Digitalker

Jim,

You don't need to wear egg on your face!  With a narrow focus, your
concerns are valid.  From a selfish viewpoint, (and believe me, deep
down, I'd prefer to see FO29 in analog mode ALL the time), most of us
would like to see satellites favoring our mode and style of operation.

However, to ensure survival of our hobby, we must appeal to young people
globally.  Our survival involves more than getting operators in NA and
Europe to use the spectrum.  We must plan for and encourage operators
world wide to use the internationally allocated satellite frequencies.

Many potential operators throughout the world don't have the resources
to put together a multimode OSCAR station.  For them, and for survival
of our hobby, we need to start planning for more easy sats, including
FO29 digitalker and sputnik type devices.  Denial of this need is, in my
opinion, elitist, and short sighted.

Many operators have some very good arguments for NOT building and
launching more FM type birds, but the truth of the matter is that the
easy sats currently in orbit are far more popular than our beloved
linear transponder satellites.

To attract new operators globally, is to ensure survival of our hobby
and our spectrum into the next millennium.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL
--
                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )