Next MAREX-NA Public Mir Schedule Aug 15, 1999

Mir Amateur Radio Status: August 9, 1999

By Miles Mann WF1F,

The Second MAREX-NA Public Voice with Space Station Mir was Successful.
Reports  are  still  coming  in,  but  is  seems  the second MAREX-NA Public
Voice
Schedule was even more fun than the first.
The  plan  was  to  have the Mir crew on the air during  a specific publish time
frame to talk
to  beginners  all  around  the  world.   The orbit we chose passed over several
countries  from Australia, to France.
The Mir crew took turns talking and sending down SSTV images to earth
via the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Mir Space Station.

Parts of the world covered during last weekends MAREX-NA Public Voice with Space
 Station Mir.
UTC time.
15:20     United Kingdom
15:25     France
15:30     Greece
15:33     Israel
15:35     Saudi Arabia
16:33     Mexico City
16:35     Pine Grove, Ca
16:38     Bowling Green, KY
16:39     Indianapolis, IN
16:39     Cincinnati
16:39     Winnipeg
16:41     Boston, MA
16:45     St Johns
16:54     London
16:55     Casablanca
16:55     Marseille
17:04     Central Africa

The third  and last MAREX-NA Public Voice Schedule for 1999 with Mir
will take place on August 15.

All Radio schedules are based on the Mir crews work load and are subject to
change
with out notice.

The Mir crew will specifically set aside a specific time slot of 60 minutes of
their
time on specific dates to talk to as many people around the world as possible
via
Amateur Radio. This special MAREX-NA Public Schedule will allow many people from
around the opportunity to tell the Mir crew "Thank You" and for the crew to
remind
the people that they will be back in the winter.

We are anticipating a very large number of Amateur Radio Stations to be calling
the
crew of Mir on the public Mir Amateur Radio channel of 145.985 FM simplex.
Since
Mir has a Receiver (hearing) range of over 1500 miles in all directions, the
primary channel will become too congested with people calling the Russian Space
Station Mir.  To help reduce channel congestion, we have proposed that the Mir
crew use a total of three different channels for this MAREX-NA Public Voice
Schedule. The multiple channel format has been used on the Shuttle projects
in the past, however the frequencies we will use for the Russian Space Station
Mir will not be exactly same as the Shuttle.  The frequencies that MAREX-NA
is proposing have been recommended by AMSAT and the IARU.

The MAREX-NA Public Voice channels for the special event.

Primary   145.985 FM Simplex
Temporary 1    145.825 FM Simplex
Temporary 2    145.800 FM Simplex

Before the Special event the Mir crew will program in the three channels into
the Kenwood TM-V7A Radio. The crew will set the frequencies into specific
channel memory channels. This will allow the Mir crew to easily switch between
the three channels very quickly.  When one of the channels becomes too
congested with stations calling, the Mir crew can then switch to a different
channel and call "CQ CQ This is the Russian Space Station Mir".
During the special Mir voice event days, the Mir crew will talk to the
public during the posted times.  The crew may also send an occasional SSTV
image down to Earth.  For this event, we are not going to recommend that
people send images to Mir during the Official MAREX-NA Public Voice
Schedules because it may use up too much time for Voice contacts.  One
of our goals is to allow as many New people to talk to the Mir crew for
the first time.  The SSTV contacts are being reserved for the Hour before
and the hour after the Public Voice Schedule time slot.

Then after the published event times have passed, the Mir crew will return
 to the station to the Primary channel of 145.985 FM Simplex.  I am sure
the event will be extremely popular and that the other satellite enthusiasts
will not mind sharing the channels for a few days.

Next planed date
In preparation for a possible MAREX-NA Public Voice / SSTV day  between
Earth and the Mir Space Station, the following advanced  times are listed.
The starts time will begin approximately 14:15 UTC until approximately 15:15 UTC
on August 15.
There may also be SSTV activity on the hours before and after the voice Schedule
 times.

Aug 15         14:15 - 15:15  UTC Australia and North America, Europe

 Details for date:

14:12     Sydney

14:15     Official Start time for MAREX-NA Public Voice with Space Station Mir
14:40     Pine Grove/Sacremento, CA, N6CO
14:43     Seattle
14:45     Winnipeg
14:46     Bowling Green, Ky, W4HTB
14:46     Waldron/Indianapolis, IN, W9NTP
14:46     Cincinnati, Ohio, W8ZCF
14:49     N Florida
14:49      Chelmsford/Boston, Mass, WF1F
14:52     St Johns
15:01     London
15:02     Casablanca
15:03     Marseille
15:09     N Africa
15:13     Central Africa
15:15  Official end time for MAREX-NA Public Voice with Space Station Mir

15:16     Nairobi
15:20     United Kingdom
15:25     France
15:30     Greece
15:33     Israel
15:35     Saudi Arabia
16:33     Mexico City
16:35     Pine Grove, Ca
16:38     Bowling Green, KY
16:39     Indianapolis, IN
16:39     Cincinnati
16:39     Winnipeg
16:41     Boston, MA
16:45     St Johns
16:54     London
16:55     Casablanca
16:55     Marseille
17:04     Central Africa

If the Mir crew has additional time, they may optionally talk during
additional passes.  During the time slots before and After the MAREX-NA
Voice days, the Mir crew may be active on SSTV for Sending and Receiving
SSTV images from Earth.  Make sure  your SSTV systems are Ready.

Voice Contact Tips:
Several times the Mir crew has been heard asking people to please stop talking
while the crew is conversing with a Station.  You need to put you self in their
location to think about how easy it is to inadvertently cause interference.
When the Mir crew Says, "QRZ, LAST TWO LETTERS OF YOUR CALL SIGN"
That is exactly what they want.  Please do not say anything else until you
have established a two-way acknowledgment.

This is not a contest!
The Mir crew members are not contesters.  The duration of a two-way contact
will vary from 1 minute to 8 minutes in duration.  The Mir crews are very busy
and we should thank them for taking time from their busy schedules.
The crews chose QSO format is to have a general chat with the public and
talk about topics which are interesting to the Mir crew.
the are not into the contest mode 5/9 thank you QRZ.

For those of you who are not able to have a two-way QSO with the crew,
you can always send away for a Short-wave-listener QSL card.

1 Listen first before Transmitting.

2 Wait until the crew says CQ or QRZ

3 When you hear CQ/QRZ, just say the last two letters of you calls sign,
twice and that's all
example:  WF WF    (don't say anything else, until you hear the
crew say, something similar too.  Station WF please continue?.

4 Keep your conversation short and speak very slowly.  If you are fluent
in French or Russian that's better, use the appropriate languages or English
too.

5 When you are done, the crew will usually remember to say CQ/QRZ for the
next station waiting. When the band is too crowded, Jean-Pierre usually
says Break Break, which is his way of asking all stations to please stop
transmitting.

6 If the crew is on voice, do not send any packet messages.  The crew will
sometimes leave the Kantronics KPC-9612 ON, while they are on voice.  This
is so they can read OLD mail while
they are talking on voice.

7. Do not ask the crew about the QSL card procedures.  The Mir crew does not
Keep a log
of radio contacts.  Just send a card to one of the two address below.

8. If you hear total silence on the Mir channel, Wait until you hear QRZ,
Do not call if the channel is clear, wait until you hear QRZ or CQ.
Otherwise you will transmit over the person the Mir crew is trying to listen to.
Think of a Mir contact this way.  If you are at your house, you can usually
only hear other 2-meter FM stations within 50 miles.  However, Mir
can hear in all directions for 1500 miles.  If you hear total silence, it is
because
the Mir crew is listening to someone more than 50 miles from your house.
If you transmit out of sequence, you will transmit on top of the other station.
Good luck, and lets be courteous.

I would like to ask everyone to please be patient regarding Amateur Radio
operations on Mir.  The Amateur Radio portion of the Mir experiments are
primarily OFF-Hours experiments.  The Mir crews do have a very busy schedule
 and only have a very limited amount of FREE-Time to use the educational
Amateur Radio experiments.

Welcome First Time Space contact:
I would like to ask all of the station who have previously made a two-way
contact with any Astronaut or Cosmonaut to please refrain  from calling
the Russian Space Station Mir crew during the Official MAREX-NA Public
Voice Schedule. The reason I am Asking you to refrain from calling the
Mir station is because there are thousands of people who have never made
a contact with a voice from Space.  This special opportunity will give
many people around he world the same thrill you received when you made
your first contact.  I know I still remember my first QSL with Sergej
Krikleav.

This is not good by.
This is,  Until we meet again.
DOSVIDANIYA

World Coverage during the  MAREX-NA Public Voice event:
We tried to cover as much of the world a possible for the MAREX-NA Public Voice
Event.
It requires over 15 orbits just to cover 90% of the world from Mir.
Because of the very heavy Mir crew work load it was just not possible
to find orbits which covered the whole world.  During this test were
not able to formally schedule any passes over South America or most
of the Asia Pacific rim.  We hope that we can run additional schedules
to cover the parts of the world we missed, next year.

We only have a very limited crew access window and we can not run any
radio schedule while the crew is sleeping (01:00 - 11:00 UTC). The Mir
crew is usually very busy during many parts of the day.  Sunday is usually
the best day for crew schedules.
During some of the passes over Russia, it is possible the Mir crew may have
to shorten their planned public access times, because of pre-scheduled
radio links with family members living on Earth.  I hope that everyone
understands that all of the published times are based on crew work load,
and it is all ways possible the Mir crew may have to cancel.  For more
accurate pass times you should consult your own tracking program with updated
Keps.

MAREX-NA Public Voice QSL Update:
For the special MAREX-NA Public Voice days, please only use the address below
for two-way and SWL cards.

QSL Information:
Pleas provide the following information with your QSL  or SWL card.

Return Name and Address, country, ZIP
Date and time of your contact, In UTC format
Signal report (Best guess)
Radio Station and Antenna (optional)

All Mir contacts, including SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
and including the Sputnik Satellites

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope with Amateur Radio
Call signs visible.

Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew consisted

of French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere, Viktor Afanasyev and Slovakian
Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys mission lasted approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 - February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (approximately 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (approximately 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16, 1998 and will
end on August 23, 1999.  On this Mission Sergei spent just over 1 full year
on board the Mir Space Station.
On June 20, 1999, Sergej broke the worlds record for Total-Time-In-Space.
Sergei has spent over two full years in space when you combine all the time
from all of his missions together.

Mir PMS Shutdown Date:
The PMS will be one of the last projects turned off.  The tentative shutdown
date
is between Aug 23 - 26.  The Mir crew will return home to Earth some time around
August 26, 1999.  Mir will be unmanned for approximately 6 months,
until February 2001, when
a new crew will return to Mir and re-enable the Amateur Radio equipment on Mir.

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright 1999 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet,
and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not
limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without prior
written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station
Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without prior
permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F