Mir Active on Voice July 31

Today Cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere was active again on 2-meter voice making
many QSO in North America
and Europe.  Jean-Pierre Heignere said, that he and the crew are very busy but
they will try to
be on the air during the MAREX-NA Public Voice Schedule on Sunday August 1.(Work
load permitting).

While Jean-Pierre Heignere was taking over the North America, his conversations
were interrupted
several times by people who were not following the correct procedures.
For example, he heard a young lady call him, but he could not make out her call
sign.
Jean-Pierre said, only the lady calling please.
At this point, everyone who has a Male sounding voice should have shutdown.
However the band was full of Male sounding voices still calling.
Jean had to repeat his request for everyone to stop calling.

Please be courteous and follow the published procedures.
Everyone will benefit

Voice Contact Tips:
1 Listen first before Transmitting.
2 Wait until the crew says CQ or QRZ

3 When you hear CQ/QRZ, just say the last two letters of you calls sign,
 twice and that's all
     example:  WF   WF
 (don't say anything else, until you hear the crew say, something similar too.
Station WF please continue?.)

4 Keep your conversation short and speak very slowly.  If you are fluent
in French or Russian that's better, use the appropriate languages or English
too.

5 When you are done, the crew will usually remember to say CQ/QRZ for the
next station waiting. When the band is too crowded, Jean-Pierre usually
says Break Break, which is his way of asking all stations to please stop
transmitting.

6 If the crew is on voice, do not send any packet messages.
The crew will sometimes leave the Kantronics KPC-9612 ON, while they are on
voice.
This is so they can read OLD mail while
they are talking on voice.

7. Do not ask the crew about the QSL card procedures.  The Mir crew does not
Keep a log
of radio contacts.  Just send a card to one of the two address below.

Welcome First Time Space contact:
I would like to ask all of the station who have previously made a
two-way contact with any Astronaut or Cosmonaut to please refrain
from calling the Russian Space Station Mir crew during the Official
MAREX-NA Public Voice Schedule. The reason I am Asking you to refrain
from calling the Mir station is because there are thousands of people
who have never made a contact with a voice from Space.  This special
opportunity will give many people around he world the same thrill you
received when you made your first contact.  I know I still remember my
first QSL with Sergej Krikleav.

This is not good by.
This is,  Until we meet again.
DOSVIDANIYA

World Coverage during the  MAREX-NA Public Voice event:
We tried to cover as much of the world a possible for the MAREX-NA Public
Voice Event.
It requires over 15 orbits just to cover 90% of the world from Mir.
Because of the very heavy Mir crew work load it was just not possible
to find orbits which covered the whole world.  During this test were
not able to formally schedule any passes over South America or most of
the Asia Pacific rim.  We hope that we can run additional schedules to
cover the parts of the world we missed, next year.

We only have a very limited crew access window and we can not run any
radio schedule while the crew is sleeping (01:00 - 11:00 UTC). The Mir
crew is usually very busy during many parts of the day.  Sunday is
usually the best day for crew schedules.
During some of the passes over Russia, it is possible the Mir crew may
have to shorten their planned public access times, because of pre-scheduled
radio links with family members living on Earth.  I hope that everyone
understands that all of the published times are based on crew work load,
and it is all ways possible the Mir crew may have to cancel.  For more
accurate pass times you should consult your own tracking program with updated
Keps.

MAREX-NA Public Voice QSL Update:
For the special MAREX-NA Public Voice days, please only use the address
below for two-way and SWL cards.

QSL Information:
Pleas provide the following information with your QSL  or SWL card.

Return Name and Address, country, ZIP
Date and time of your contact, In UTC format
Signal report (Best guess)
Radio Station and Antenna (optional)

All Mir contacts, including SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
and including the Sputnik Satellites

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope
with Amateur Radio Call signs visible.

Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz
TM-29 crew consisted of French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere,
Viktor Afanasyev and Slovakian Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys mission lasted approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 - February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16,
1998 and will end on August 23, 1999.  On this Mission Sergei
spent just over 1 full year on board the Mir Space Station.
On June 20, 1999, Sergej broke the worlds record for Total-Time-In-Space.
Sergei has spent over two full years in space when you combine all
the time from all of his missions together.

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright 1999 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.
This document may be freely distributed via the following means -
Email (including listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  I
t may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited to,
CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without prior
written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian
Space Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely
distributed, without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F