(translated from Russian)

From:     Aleksandrov AP
     RSC Energia

To:  Miles Mann
     MAREX-NA

July 29, 1999

Dear Mr. Mann:

Let me inform you that we are planning to conducting the final sessions of
Amateur Radio connections, "QSO" between the Orbiting Station Mir and the
Amateur Radio stations on Earth.
The schedule will take place on the following dates:
Aug 1, 1999, 8 and 15

Also we plan to activate the MAREX-NA Slow-Scan TV system for one hour
before the Public Radio Schedule and one hour after the Public Radio schedules.
  The SSTV system will be in Robot-36 - Automatic mode

respectfully

Aleksandrov AP
 RK3AP

 The Mir crew will specifically set
aside a specific time slot of 60-90 minutes of their time on specific dates
 to talk to as many people around the world as possible via Amateur Radio.
This special MAREX-NA Public Schedule will allow many people from around the
 opportunity to tell the Mir crew "Thank You" and for the crew to remind the
 people that they will be back in the winter.

We are anticipating a very large number of Amateur Radio Station to be
calling the crew of Mir on the public Mir Amateur Radio channel of 145.985 FM
 simplex.  Since Mir has a Receiver (hearing) range of over 1500 miles in
all directions, the primary channel will become too congested with people
calling the Russian Space Station Mir.  To help reduce channel congestion,
we have proposed that the Mir crew use a total of three different channels
for this MAREX-NA Public Voice Schedule. The multiple channel format has
been used on the Shuttle projects in the past, however the frequencies we
will use for the Russian Space Station Mir will not be exactly same as the
Shuttle.  The frequencies that MAREX-NA is proposing have been recommended
 by AMSAT and the IARU.

The MAREX-NA Public Voice channels for the special event.

Primary   145.985 FM Simplex
Temporary 1    145.825 FM Simplex
Temporary 2    145.800 FM Simplex

Before the Special event the Mir crew will program in the three channels
 into the Kenwood TM-V7A Radio. The crew will set the frequencies into
specific channel memory channels. This will allow the Mir crew to easily
 switch between the three channels very quickly.  When one of the channels
 becomes too congested with stations calling, the Mir crew can then switch
 to a different channel and call "CQ CQ This is the Russian Space Station Mir".
 During the special Mir voice event days, the Mir crew will talk to the
 public during the posted times.  The crew may also send an occasional
 SSTV image down to Earth.  For this event, we are not going to
 recommend that people send images to Mir during the Official MAREX-NA
 Public Voice Schedules because it may use up too much time for Voice
contacts.  One of our goals is to allow as many New people to talk to the
 Mir crew for the first time.  The SSTV contacts are being reserved for the
 Hour before and the hour after the Public Voice Schedule time slot.

Then after the published event times have passed, the Mir crew will return
 to the station to the Primary channel of 145.985 FM Simplex.  I am sure the
 event will be extremely popular and that the other satellite enthusiasts will
 not mind sharing the channels for a few days.

Tentative dates
In preparation for a possible MAREX-NA Public Voice / SSTV day  between
 Earth and the Mir Space Station, the following advanced  times are listed.
  The starts times will be updated closer to the actual schedule anticipated
 for August 1, 8  and Aug 15, 1999.  These dates fall on Sunday, all times
 are UTC and are AOS.  Only times within the active crew participation  periods
are listed.

Dates for Sundays in August
Aug 1          16:15 to 16:35 UTC, 19:15 to 19:35 Mir time  Australia, New
Zealand
16:55 to 17:20 UTC, 19:55 to 20:20 Mir time  North America, Europe

Aug 8          15:18 - 15:40  UTC, UK, France, Greece
16:30 - 17:10  UTC, North America and North Africa

Aug 15         16:00 - 17:00, UTC Australia and North America

 Details for each date:
For Sunday August 1, the approximate time pass will begin around 16:15 until
17:30

The August 1 Sunday date will include the following cities
AOS
(UTC)     City           Lat/Lon
16:15      Perth         -32/116
16:19     Adelaide  -34/139
16:22     Sydney         -34/151
16:27     Wellington     -41/174
16:57     Mexico City    20/99
17:01     Houston   30/95
17:03     Cincinnati     39/84
17:04     Boston         42/71
17:06     St Johns  47/52
17:15     London         51/00
17:18     Marseille 43/05
17:21     Moscow    56/38

Sunday August 8, 1999 using Keps for day 173 (June 22):
The first part of the pass will cover Most of Europe and North Africa
The second half will cover North America.

The August 8 Sunday date will include the following cities
16:55     Los Angeles
16:56     San Francisco  38/122
17:01     Cincinnati
17:04     Boston
17:10     St Johns, Canada
17:16     London, UK
17:17     Marseilles, France
17:18     Casablanca

Sunday August 15, 1999 using Keps for day 173 (June 22):
The first part of the pass will cover Australia and North America

AOS(UTC)  City
16:00     Sydney
16:03     Wellington
16:19     Honolulu
16:29     W Oregon/N Ca
16:30     Seattle
16:34     Winnipeg
16:37     Cincinnati
16:39     Boston
16:41     St Johns
16:52     Casablanca

If the Mir crew has additional time, they may optionally talk during
 additional passes.  During the time slots before and After the MAREX-NA
 Voice days, the Mir crew may be active on SSTV for Sending and Receiving
 SSTV images from Earth.  Make sure  your SSTV systems are Ready.

Stay tuned for further details.

Voice Contact Tips:
1 Listen first before Transmitting.
2 Wait until the crew says CQ or QRZ
We have been teaching the crew more Amateur Radio protocol and
they are catching on, slowly.

3 When you hear CQ/QRZ, just say the last two letters of you calls sign,
 twice and that's all
     example:  WF WF    (don't say anything else, until you hear the
crew say, something similar too.  Station WF please continue?.

4 Keep your conversation short and speak very slowly.  If you are fluent
in French or Russian that's better, use the appropriate languages or English
too.

5 When you are done, the crew will usually remember to say CQ/QRZ for the
next station waiting. When the band is too crowded, Jean-Pierre usually
says Break Break, which is his way of asking all stations to please stop
transmitting.

6 If the crew is on voice, do not send any packet messages.
The crew will sometimes leave the Kantronics KPC-9612 ON, while they are on
voice.
This is so they can read OLD mail while
they are talking on voice.

7. Do not ask the crew about the QSL card procedures.  The Mir crew does not
Keep a log
of radio contacts.  Just send a card to one of the two address below.

I would like to ask everyone to please be patient regarding Amateur
Radio operations on Mir.  The Amateur Radio portion of the Mir
experiments are primarily OFF-Hours experiments.  The Mir crews
do have a very busy schedule and only have a very limited amount
of FREE-Time to use the educational Amateur Radio experiments.

Welcome First Time Space contact:
I would like to ask all of the station who have previously made a
two-way contact with any Astronaut or Cosmonaut to please refrain
from calling the Russian Space Station Mir crew during the Official
MAREX-NA Public Voice Schedule. The reason I am Asking you to refrain
from calling the Mir station is because there are thousands of people
who have never made a contact with a voice from Space.  This special
opportunity will give many people around he world the same thrill you
received when you made your first contact.  I know I still remember my
first QSL with Sergej Krikleav.

This is not good by.
This is,  Until we meet again.
DOSVIDANIYA

World Coverage during the  MAREX-NA Public Voice event:
We tried to cover as much of the world a possible for the MAREX-NA Public
Voice Event.
It requires over 15 orbits just to cover 90% of the world from Mir.
Because of the very heavy Mir crew work load it was just not possible
to find orbits which covered the whole world.  During this test were
not able to formally schedule any passes over South America or most of
the Asia Pacific rim.  We hope that we can run additional schedules to
cover the parts of the world we missed, next year.

We only have a very limited crew access window and we can not run any
radio schedule while the crew is sleeping (01:00 - 11:00 UTC). The Mir
crew is usually very busy during many parts of the day.  Sunday is
usually the best day for crew schedules.
During some of the passes over Russia, it is possible the Mir crew may
have to shorten their planned public access times, because of pre-scheduled
radio links with family members living on Earth.  I hope that everyone
understands that all of the published times are based on crew work load,
and it is all ways possible the Mir crew may have to cancel.  For more
accurate pass times you should consult your own tracking program with updated
Keps.

MAREX-NA Public Voice QSL Update:
For the special MAREX-NA Public Voice days, please only use the address
below for two-way and SWL cards.

QSL Information:
Pleas provide the following information with your QSL  or SWL card.

Return Name and Address, country, ZIP
Date and time of your contact, In UTC format
Signal report (Best guess)
Radio Station and Antenna (optional)

All Mir contacts, including SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
and including the Sputnik Satellites

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope
with Amateur Radio Call signs visible.

Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz
TM-29 crew consisted of French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere,
Viktor Afanasyev and Slovakian Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys mission lasted approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 - February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16,
1998 and will end on August 23, 1999.  On this Mission Sergei
spent just over 1 full year on board the Mir Space Station.
On June 20, 1999, Sergej broke the worlds record for Total-Time-In-Space.
Sergei has spent over two full years in space when you combine all
the time from all of his missions together.

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright 1999 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.
This document may be freely distributed via the following means -
Email (including listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  I
t may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited to,
CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without prior
written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian
Space Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely
distributed, without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F