Re: Will try for 22:41 Mir

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Richard Bleeker wrote:

> I am going to try (AGAIN!) for a voice QSO with Mir here in South Africa
>
> BTW, does anybody know the equation for converting locators eg KG50DK
> into the Lat and Long???  ....Also, if you know of  some software which
> will plot an entered locator on a world map, I would be grateful for
> that information. :)

APRS will not only show it to you, if it sees a packet with a GRID in it,
it automatically plots the station on the map.  I leave APRS just
monitoring the MIR downlink and each morning I can see everyone who
transmitted a UI packet with his position in it on the map.

In just the last week, I have seen over 150 such stations. (Not all of
them included grid squares though)...

bob