Packet during Mir-Shuttle exchange?

Question from Steven Whitehead

I noticed during the Mir-Shuttle Ham radio exchange there
were packet radio bursts.  Where were they coming from?

Thanks,

Steve NV7V
L1, ASE Master Auto
Utah Smog and Safety Cert.
Senior Technician
Japanese Auto Service
Orem, Utah
Extra Class Amateur Radio Licensee
Senior Member Utah County Sheriff's Communications Auxiliary Team
Communications director Timpanogos Emergency Response Team
ARRL member
Trustee, N7BSA Utah Nat. Parks Cnl. Amateur Radio Explorer Post
W5YI-VE Contact VE

During the Mir to Shuttle contact last weekend there were a few
Packet Audio bursts.  These Audio bursts were coming from
the Russian space stations Mir's Personal Message System (PMS).
At the time of the conversation, the Mir crew was using the
Kenwood Tm-733, which was connected to the Kantronics KPC-9612
TNC.  The TNC is always connected to the Kenwood TM-733 via
a dedicated Data connector.  When the Shuttle / Mir schedule began
the Mir crew forgot to turn off the Kantronics KPC-9612.
And as a result, a few intermittent beacon packet messages were transmitted
from the Personal Message System, while the Mir crew was talking to the Shuttle
crew.
The Mir crew does not hear the TNC Packet data while the TNC is transmitting.
So some times, they inadvertently leave it running during voice conversations
not knowing it is sending out data.  The audio burst was heard by the SAREX
equipment
coming from Mir.  (has anyone tried to decode the packet bursts yet?)
Usually when I run a Mir-Phone patch or a School schedule with Mir, I usually
have to remind the crew members to temporally turn of the Kantronics KPC-9612.

Audio clip with packet burst.
http://shuttle.nasa.gov/gallery/audio/shuttle/sts-93/wave/congrats.wav

73 Miles WF1F MAREX-NA

nv7v@burgoyne.com (Steven Whitehead) on 07/28/99 12:55:56 AM