Mir Voice Schedules on 2-meters

Mir Amateur Radio Status: July 28, 1999

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Public Voice Schedules with Mir in August:
The MAREX-NA team has been running Official Voice Schedules with the Russian
Space
Station Mir since September 1991.  Most of these schedules have been with
schools
around the world (over 70 schools).  During the month of August we hope the make
 schedule with the world.  I know there are many people who have never talked to
 Cosmonaut in space before and we are trying to work out the details for Mir
crew
voice time.  The tentative dates for the Public Mir voice radio schedules are
August 1, 8 and 15th.
All Radio schedules are based on the Mir crews work load and are subject to
change
 with out notice.

After August 1999, the Mir station will be left un-manned temporarily for 6
months.
 Just before the Mir stations is exited, MAREX-NA has proposed a special three
day-weekend Voice / SSTV schedule for the world.  If this project is approved
by Energia the Mir crew will on active on Voice on the two-meter band around
the world for during published times.  The Mir crew will specifically set aside
  a specific time slot of 60-90 minutes of their time on specific dates to talk
 to as many people around the world as possible via Amateur Radio. This special
 MAREX-NA Public Schedule will allow many people from around the opportunity to
 tell the Mir crew "Thank You" and for the crew to remind the people that they
 will be back in the winter.

We are anticipating a very large number of Amateur Radio Station to be calling
 the crew of Mir on the public Mir Amateur Radio channel of 145.985 FM simplex.

Since Mir has a Receiver (hearing) range of over 1500 miles in all directions,
the primary channel will become too congested with people calling the Russian
Space Station Mir.  To help reduce channel congestion, we have proposed that
the Mir crew use a total of three different channels for this MAREX-NA Public
Voice Schedule. The multiple channel format has been used on the Shuttle
projects in the past, however the frequencies we will use for the Russian
Space Station Mir will not be exactly same as the Shuttle.  The frequencies
 that MAREX-NA is proposing have been recommended by AMSAT and the IARU.

The MAREX-NA Public Voice channels for the special event.

Primary   145.985 FM Simplex
Temporary 1    145.825 FM Simplex
Temporary 2    145.800 FM Simplex

Before the Special event the Mir crew will program in the three channels into
 the Kenwood TM-V7A Radio. The crew will set the frequencies into specific
channel memory channels. This will allow the Mir crew to easily switch between
 the three channels very quickly.  When one of the channels becomes too
congested with stations calling, the Mir crew can then switch to a different
 channel and call "CQ CQ This is the Russian Space Station Mir".
 During the special Mir voice event days, the Mir crew will talk to the
public during the posted times.  The crew may also send an occasional SSTV
 image down to Earth.  For this event, we are not going to recommend that
people send images to Mir because it may use up too much time for Voice
contacts.
  One of our goals is to allow as many New people to talk to the Mir crew for
 the first time.

Then after the published event times have passed, the Mir crew will return to
the station to the Primary channel of 145.985 FM Simplex.  I am sure the event
 will be extremely popular and that the other satellite enthusiasts will not
mind sharing the channels for a few days.

Tentative dates
In preparation for a possible MAREX-NA Public Voice / SSTV day  between Earth
 and the Mir Space Station, the following advanced  times are listed.
The starts times will be updated closer to the actual schedule anticipated
 for August 1, 8  and Aug 15, 1999.  These dates fall on Sunday, all times
 are UTC and are AOS.  Only times within the active crew participation
periods are listed.

Dates for Sundays in August
Aug 1          16:45 - 17:05 UTC Australia's and New Zealand
          17:25 - 18:00 UTC North American and Europe

Aug 8          15:25 - 15:40  UTC UK, France, Greece
16:55 - 17:20  UTC North America and North Africa

Aug 15         16:00 - 17:00  UTC Australia and North America

 Details for each date:
For Sunday August 1, the approximate time pass will begin around 16:15 until
17:30

The August 1 Sunday date will include the following cities
AOS
(UTC)     City           Lat/Lon
16:15      Perth         -32/116
16:19     Adelaide  -34/139
16:22     Sydney         -34/151
16:27     Wellington     -41/174
16:57     Mexico City    20/99
17:01     Houston   30/95
17:03     Cincinnati     39/84
17:04     Boston         42/71
17:06     St Johns  47/52
17:15     London         51/00
17:18     Marseille 43/05
17:21     Moscow    56/38

Sunday August 8, 1999 using Keps for day 173 (June 22):
The first part of the pass will cover Most of Europe and North Africa
The second half will cover North America.

The August 8 Sunday date will include the following cities
16:55     Los Angeles
16:56     San Francisco  38/122
17:01     Cincinnati
17:04     Boston
17:10     St Johns, Canada
17:16     London, UK
17:17     Marseilles, France
17:18     Casablanca

Sunday August 15, 1999 using Keps for day 173 (June 22):
The first part of the pass will cover Australia and North America

AOS(UTC)  City
16:00     Sydney
16:03     Wellington
16:19     Honolulu
16:29     W Oregon/N Ca
16:30     Seattle
16:34     Winnipeg
16:37     Cincinnati
16:39     Boston
16:41     St Johns
16:52     Casablanca

If the Mir crew has additional time, they may optionally talk during
additional passes.  During the time slots before and After the MAREX-NA
 Voice days, the Mir crew may be active on SSTV for Sending and Receiving
 SSTV images from Earth.  Make sure  your SSTV systems are Ready.

Stay tuned for further details.

Voice Contact Tips:
1 Listen first before Transmitting.
2 Wait until the crew says CQ or QRZ
We have been teaching the crew more Amateur Radio protocol and they are
catching on, slowly.

3 When you hear CQ/QRZ, just say the last two letters of you calls sign,
twice and that's all
     example:  WF WF    (don't say anything else, until you hear the
crew say, something similar too.  Station WF please continue?.

4 Keep your conversation short and speak very slowly.  If you are fluent
in French or Russian that's better, use the appropriate languages or English
too.

5 When you are done, the crew will usually remember to say CQ/QRZ for the
 next station waiting. When the band is too crowded, Jean-Pierre usually
says Break Break, which is his way of asking all stations to please stop
transmitting.

6 If the crew is on voice, do not send any packet messages.
The crew will sometimes leave the Kantronics KPC-9612 ON, while they are on
voice.
  This is so they can read OLD mail while
they are talking on voice.

7. Do not ask the crew about the QSL card procedures.  The Mir crew does not
Keep a log
of radio contacts.  Just send a card to one of the two address below.

I would like to ask everyone to please be patient regarding Amateur Radio
operations on Mir.  The Amateur Radio portion of the Mir experiments are
primarily OFF-Hours experiments.  The Mir crews do have a very busy schedule
 and only have a very limited amount of FREE-Time to use the educational
Amateur Radio experiments.

Welcome First Time Space contact:
I would like to ask all of the station who have previously made a two-way
 contact with any Astronaut or Cosmonaut to please refrain  from calling
the Mir crew during the Special published MAREX-NA Public Voice days. The
 reason I am Asking to refrain from calling the Mir station is because there
 are thousands of people who have never made a contact with a voice from
Space.  this special opportunity will give many people around he world the
 same thrill you received when you made your first contact.  I know I still
 remember my first QSL with Sergej Krikleav.  Thank you.

World Coverage during the  MAREX-NA Public Voice event:
We tried to cover as much of the world a possible for the MAREX-NA Public
Voice Event.  However, because of crew OFF-Hours limitations and orbit
availability, it was not possible to make arrangements for voice coverage
over several parts of the world.  We only have a very limited crew access
window.  The Mir crew is usually very busy during many parts of the day.
Sunday is usually the best day for crew schedules.
During some of the passes over Russia, it is possible the Mir crew may have
to shorten their planned public access times, because of pre-scheduled  radio
 links with family members living on Earth.  I hope that everyone understands
 that all of the published times are based on crew work load, and it is all
ways possible the Mir crew may have to cancel.  For more accurate pass times
you should consult your own tracking program with updated Keps.

MAREX-NA Public Voice QSL Update:
For the special MAREX-NA Public Voice days, please only use the address below
 for two-way and SWL cards.

QSL Information:
Pleas provide the following information with your QSL  or SWL card.

Return Name and Address, country, ZIP
Date and time of your contact, In UTC format
Signal report (Best guess)
Radio Station and Antenna (optional)

All Mir contacts, including SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
and including the Sputnik Satellites

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope with Amateur
Radio Call signs visible.

Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew
consisted of French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere, Viktor Afanasyev and
Slovakian Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys mission lasted approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 - February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16, 1998 and wil
l end on August 23, 1999.  On this Mission Sergei spent just over 1 full year
 on board the Mir Space Station.
On June 20, 1999, Sergej broke the worlds record for Total-Time-In-Space.
Sergei has spent over two full years in space when you combine all the time
 from all of his missions together.

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright 1999 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be freely
 distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet
, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not
 limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without prior
written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station
Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without
prior permission.

Miles WF1F