Re: Has *anybody* in the US worked STS-93? - debate???

Hi William, Et al.

    I'm sure that the students at Harbor View Elementary School were excited
and thrilled to make their contact and I certainly don't want to detract
from that.  My daughters' school (Center Street Elementary, El Segundo) had
a SAREX contact in 1997 with STS94 and everyone who was there was blown away
(or at least I sure was!)  I had never witnessed a SAREX contact prior to
that.

    In fact, doing the contact directly from the school nearly caused its
un-doing.  The people who organized it weren't practiced at space operations
and when they started tracking, the antenna was rotating opposite to the
commanded direction.  They were nearly ready to abandon the computer
controlled tracking but they figured it out moments prior to the start of
the contact.   On the other hand, seeing the tracking display show the
shuttle approaching California did add to the experience. They were using a
tracking program that was unfamiliar to me at the time but may have been
STSplus.  (For what its worth, I prefer WinOrbit for most applications.)

    We had 10 students, selected by a teacher for thinking up the most
interesting questions.  The interchange went so well that they finished off
the questions and had to make up more 'on the fly.'

    I can only imagine that the Harbor View students have a memory to last a
lifetime.  People in El Segundo are still talking about ours.

    My last comment is that Harbor View Elementary is only blocks from my
parent's house.  I graduated from Corona Del Mar High (longer ago than I
want to think about.)  An unusual coincidence to be 'related' to two SAREX
schools.

    As I listen to NASA select while I type this, they are discussing SAREX
contacts and that they are trying to improve signals as they have apparently
been weak.  (Heard them strong here last night.)  They said something about
making sure the antenna was fully seated in the window and to tune the
antenna prior to the next contact.  Apparently they are still doing SAREX
contacts (approx 0200 27 July 99 UTC.)

    Martin Ronney, WB6YMI