Re: Which path does a "REAL" QSO take?

William,

"William A. Wetzel" wrote:
> It had occurred to me that this exchange would be an excellent debate for
> amateur radio!!! Doug suggested "META-CONTACT" or "META-WORK" to classify
> what had taken place at Harbor View Elementary School, to provide what is
> needed to split this hair...

I'm sure FEW of the students or faculty present for the exchange between
their school and the shuttle care which path their signals took to make
the QSO possible.  Even fewer would understand or care that their
contact was facilitated by amateur stations in the ground track of the
shuttle.

Without a doubt, there was electricity in the air, and they have a sense
of accomplishment and honor, that their school was chosen, and they had
the opportunity to talk with astronauts aboard an orbiting shuttle.

As far as a path other than direct for a QSO between amateurs aboard the
shuttle and on the ground, most should view such a "MEAT-CONTACT" as
fun, but not an official QSO.  Personally, I would not include a QSL
card from such a contact in my collection, but instead would view the
contact as I would view a long distant contact through a repeater
gateway, fun, but not a real 2 way exchange between stations.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)