STS Over Australia

Farrell

As a point of interest I have been around for every crossing over Australia
and at best I have heard the Packet Robot.

I am running a 10 el beam with 25 W into it and am tracking the shuttle
across the sky, much as I do for MIR.

We have been a bit worried here about the Darwin 2 Metre beacon which is on
144.480, far too close to two of the uplink freqs. It runs 100 watts EIRP
and could be causing problems. The only uplink freq that would be in the
clear across Australia (especially the top half) would be the secondary
voice uplink of 144.45

I know there is probably no way of getting that info up to STS. But I
thought it might be worth the Aussie Amateurs bearing this in mind.

It would be interesting to know if the crew have had any problems with the
beacon after the mission is over for future reference.

If we had of realized this a bit earlier, we may have been able to get the
local Radio Club to kill the beacon for the duration of the mission.

Mike VK8ZMA