STS-93 SAREX Note

Sunday, July 24, 1999 @ 0330 UTC

TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS

SAREX had a very good contact with Harbor View Elementary School in
Corona Del Mar, California through Gordon VK6IU in Australia.  Contact
ended at 0051z July 25.  In fact, the school invites all hams to
visit their web site via a link provided at
http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/~kc6rol/sts93.html

They expect to have audio there soon to showcase!

No audio was heard from Columbia for the Awty International School
scheduled contact that ended at 0226z through VK6IU.  I speculate
that a poor orbiter attitude (roughly belly forward, main engines
earth-center pointing) prevented MS3 Michel Tognini from being
heard but we will find out for sure.

Coming up soon is a Columbia-Mir Amateur Radio link attempt between
the cosmonaut-astronaut on the space shuttle (MS3) and a fellow
French cosmonaut on Mir.

Starting tomorrow evening (EDT) I *may* be able to help arrange
for WA3NAN, the Goddard Amateur Radio Club station, to retransmit
the school contacts LIVE on the published space shuttle audio
retransmission frequencies.  See the web site for news at
http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/www/garc-home-page.html as well.

After I get additional details researched and verified about the
missed contacts I will pass another SAREX Bulletin along.  Until
then we'll continue to watch the sarex@amsat.org mail list for
posts about any first hand observations.  If you hear the space
shuttle and have some good observations then please post them!

Good luck in the experiment!

Sincerely,

Pat WD8LAQ
AMSAT Area Coordinator and SAREX helper
Washington, D.C. area                                  Go P3D !!!

Patrick L. Kilroy                                                WK
SSPP Hitchhiker I&T Lead Engineer  Phone:  301-286-1984
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   Fax:    301-286-1673
Building 5, Mail Code 568          E-mail: pat.kilroy@gsfc.nasa.gov
Greenbelt, Maryland  20771         Web:    http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov