Mir Status July 12,1999, PMS move

Mir Amateur Radio Status: July 12, 1999

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Email problems with my server:
Hi  everyone,  over  the  weekend  my  email server went down.  I sent out a few
messages which may arrive on the SAREX mailing list, out of sequence  and out of
date.  Since the problems
with the PMS seem to be resolved you can just delete the old messages.

Mir PMS Moved and Reloaded:
During  the  weekend  of  July  9-11  the Mir crew reportedly moved the Personal
Message  System  from  the  Priroid  module  into the Base-Block or the Mir-Core
module.   After  the move, the PMS began just transmitting an Audio carrier with
No  data.   The problem appears to be an incorrect setting on the Kenwood TM-733
transceiver.   This  radio  has  two data modes, 1200 and 9600 baud.  It appears
that the radio was inadvertently set for the wrong mode.
Dave  Laresen  of  MIREX,  talked the Mir crew through resetting and testing the
Modem,  the  Kantronics KPC-9612 TNC.  The crew eventually found the 9600 on the
Kenwood  display the set the radio to the 1200 baud mode.  Full packet operation
was restored by Sunday afternoon.

The next batch of information indicates the crew has moved the PMS hardware into
the  Mir-Core module.  If this information is correct it means we have dedicated
access  to a Dual band antenna for greater frequency flexibility.  However there
are also some limitations.  The dual band antenna on the Mir module is closer to
the  commercial  transmitting antenna for the Mission Control Radio (TSUPs).  We
had  a  problem  on  Sunday  with  De-sensing of the Amateur Radio station.  The
commercial  transmitter  operates on the 143 MHz frequency and the Amateur Radio
station  operates  on  145.985  MHz.  The frequency are just too close. (we will
have  a  similar  problem on ISS) When the commercial transmitter is active, the
Amateur Radio station goes temporarily Deaf.

The  MAREX-NA  team  contracted with DCI to build a special filter to solve this
problem.   SAREX  assisted  with  the  debugging  and  delivery of the filter to
Russia.   The  filter  is now on Mir and was used while the equipment was in the
Prioida  module.   However  it  appears the filer may have been removed when the
equipment was installed in the Mir-Core module.  We are working on this possible
problem.

Air Leak and Supply delay:
There  are  a few stories about an Air leak on Mir in the news this week.  Small
air  leaks  are  nothing unusual on a large space Stanton.  Just as long as they
stay  small.   The Mir crew has successfully repaired several small air leaks in
the past with good long term success results.  There appears to be another small
air leak which the crew is currently working on.

Farrell Winder, W8ZCF. July 11, 1999
     Jean-Pierre was heard to remark this morning as he passed over the USA at
approximately 12:22 UTC ---  that everything is not so bad now that the
modem (Amateur Radio modem) is working again ---- concerning the pressure,
well we investigated but nothing really extremely serious.

There  is  a  Mir Progress supply rocket launch currently scheduled for July 14.
This  launch  may  be  delayed while officials try to figure out what went wrong
with  a  similar  rocket  launch earlier this month.  The Mir crew always has at
least  a  30  day  back up supply of food and water, just in case a cargo rocket
gets delayed.

SSTV Update from Mir crew:
If the equipment move took place, we should be able to get more and better
pictures of the Mir crew working in the Mir-Cord module.  With access to the
Dual band antenna, we have solve one problem in getting both the PMS and SSTV
active at the same time.  However, we are still Power Supply limited.  Since we
only have one power supply, we can only run one project at a time.  Either the
PMS or the SSTV.  Until we have the ability to run both projects at the same
time, there is no reason to use the UHF 437.975 frequency.  Both the SSTV and
PMS will stay on the 145.985 FM Simplex channel (which is fully coordinated).

Future Voice schedules with Mir:
The  MAREX-NA  team  has  been running Official Voice Schedules with the Russian
Space  Station Mir since September 1991.  Most of these schedules have been with
schools  around the world (over 70 schools).  During the month of August we hope
the make a schedule with the world.  I know there are many people who have never
talked  to a Cosmonaut in space before and we are trying to work out the details
for Mir crew voice time.
Stay tuned for further details.

Voice Contact Tips:
1 Listen first before Transmitting.
2 Wait till the crew says CQ or QRZ
We  have  been  teaching  the  crew  more   Amateur  Radio protocol and they are
catching on, slowly.

3  When  you hear CQ/QRZ, just say the last two letters of you calls sign, twice
and that?s all
     example:   WF  WF    (don?t say anything else, until you hear the crew say,
something similar too.  Station WF please continue?.

4  Keep  your  conversation  short  and speak very slowly.  If you are fluent in
French or Russian that?s better, use the appropriate languages or English too.

5  When  you are done, the crew will usually remember to say CQ/QRZ for the next
station  waiting.  When  the band is too crowded, Jean-Pierre usually says Break
Break, which is his way of asking all stations to please stop transmitting.

6  If  the  crew  is  on  voice, do not send any packet messages.  The crew will
sometimes leave the Kantronics KPC-9612 ON, while they are on voice.  This is so
they can read OLD mail while
they are talking on voice.

7.  Do  not  ask  the crew about the QSL card procedures.  The Mir crew does not
Keep a log
of radio contacts.  Just send a card to one of the two address below.

Current Channel, 145.985 FM Simplex.

I  would  like  to  ask  everyone  to  please be patient regarding Amateur Radio
operations  on  Mir.   The  Amateur  Radio  portion  of  the Mir experiments are
primarily OFF-Hours experiments.  The Mir crews do have a very busy schedule and
only  have  a  very  limited  amount of FREE-Time to use the educational Amateur
Radio experiments.

QSL Update:
Several people have asked, Where are their QSL cards for Sputnik 17 and 18.  And
where are their QSL cards for Mir.
The short answer is:
The MAREX-Russia club has run out of QSL cards for those projects.

We  are now looking into different plans on how to restock the QSL cards for the
MAREX-Russia  club  and  we  need  about  4000  cards.  When I get more specific
information, I will pass it on.

QSL Information:

Please use one of the following QSL managers and follow the directions for that
Manager
and included the following information:

Return Name and Address, country, ZIP
Date and time of your contact, In UTC format
Signal report (Best guess)
Radio Station and Antenna (optional)

All Mir contacts, including SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
and including the Sputnik Satellites

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope with Amateur Radio Call
signs visible.

Temporally out of QSL cards!

Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

The California address still has a short supply of cards in stock.
For Two-way contacts with Mir ONLY.  Just for the call sign R0MIR and R0MIR-1
No SSTV-SWL (Short Wave Listener) cards will be issued at this address.
No Sputnik-SWL cards

Dr. Dave Larsen - N6CO/K6MIR
PO Box 311
Pine Grove, California
95665
USA

Please include a SASE (Business Size Envelope) and two IRC?s  for international.
If you are sending an IRC, Please make sure it is dated 1999, as the post office
won't accept IRC's dated over 1 year old.
Make sure the cancel stamp is in the right place on the IRC.
"Green Stamps" (USA ONLY) are appreciated for covering additional costs.

Note: Dave Larsen MIREX / N6CO is not handling SWL cards for Sputnik, please use
the other addresses

*****************

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew consisted
of  French  cosmonaut  Jean-Pierre  Heignere,  Viktor  Afanasyev  and  Slovakian
Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys  mission  lasted  approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 ? February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16, 1998 and will end
on August 23, 1999.  On this Mission Sergei spent just over 1 full year on board
the Mir Space Station.
On June 20, 1999, Sergej broke the worlds record for Total-Time-In-Space.
Sergei has spent over two full years in space when you combine all the time from
all of his missions together.

PMS Status (Personal Message System):
The PMS activity was a little intermittent last week, but its running good.

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright  1999  Miles  Mann,  All Rights Reserved.  This document may be freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet, and
World-Wide-Web.   It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited
to,  CD  ROMs,  books,  and/or  other  commercial  outlets without prior written
consent from the author.
Images  received  from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station Mir
are  considered  public  domain  and  may  be  freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F