STS-93 SAREX Concerns

SAREX Team,

   Great!  Having the downlink of school contacts public is the single
most important benefit to the SAREX program.

But we must begin the PR campain immediately and seriously
to make sure every single HAM on the planet understands that these
events are a NON-RANDOM-QSO mode so that we dont kill the golden goose.

Although this should come across in the strongest terms, it should
also not appear to be condescending nor high-handed.  It should come
across as in-all-of-our-best-interest, and must be included in
every public mention of SAREX.

So far, I have not seen this implied in any postings....
I hope someone can come up with some good wording SOON.

But since 10% never get the "word", maybe the most important thing would
be for the Astronauts to use  the phrase "SCHOOL CONTACT" in every
transmission.  It is the only way to assure that at every minute, everyone
gets the message!

EXAMPLE:  N0CLU this is Columbia, SCHOOL CONTACT, OVER.
          yack, yack, yack...  SCHOOL CONTACT, OVER
          Roger, yack yack...  SCHOOL CONTACT, OVER
          etc...

Being able to hear the downlink will improve my ability to show off SAREX
to my   students by an order of magnitude!   In the past, the hit-or-miss
nature of the SAREX downlink, was actually a NEGATIVE PR value.  I quit
trying to do live demos at the Naval Academy years ago because the
dissappointment of a non-event to students was worse than no event.

I hope we can make this a big success!

de Bob, WB4APR