Mir Packet Off-Line June 25, 1999

Mir Amateur Radio Status: June 25, 1999

By Miles Mann WF1F,

MSNBC Mir story:
from Farrell:,
     Check MSNBC News for Mir update:

                    http://www.msnbc.com/news/144861.asp

     Good story by Alan Boyle reflecting News from yesterdays  Mir contact with
the Pearl City High School  students in Honolulu.  This basic news alert to
MSNBC was made possible by inputs from several of us involved with the Mir
Space Station SSTV and other communications with the Cosmonauts via Amateur
Radio.. 73, Farrell, W8ZCF

Mir PMS Temporally OFF Line:
12:00 UTC June 25, 1999
The  Personal  Message  System  on Mir seems to be having a problem sending down
Audio
in the Packet Mode.
This problem happened once before during Mike Foals Mission.  The last time the
crew  was  able to reset the modem and recover.  We are not sure what is causing
the
problem today, we are looking into the problem.

QSL Update:
Several people have asked, Where are their QSL cards for Sputnik 17 and 18.  And
where are their QSL cards for Mir.
The short answer is:
The MAREX-Russia club has run out of QSL cards for those projects.

We  are now looking into different plans on how to restock the QSL cards for the
MAREX-Russia  club  and  we  need  about  4000  cards.  When I get more specific
information, I will pass it on.

QSL Information:

Please use one of the following QSL managers and follow the directions for that
Manager
and included the following information:

Return Name and Address, country, ZIP
Date and time of your contact, In UTC format
Signal report (Best guess)
Radio Station and Antenna (optional)

All Mir contacts, including SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
and including the Sputnik Satellites

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope with Amateur Radio Call
signs visible.

Temporally out of QSL cards!

Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

The California address still has a short supply of cards in stock.
For Two-way contacts with Mir ONLY.  Just for the call sign R0MIR and R0MIR-1
No SSTV-SWL (Short Wave Listener) cards will be issued at this address.
No Sputnik-SWL cards

Dr. Dave Larsen - N6CO/K6MIR
PO Box 311
Pine Grove, California
95665
USA

Please include a SASE (Business Size Envelope) and two IRC?s  for international.
If you are sending an IRC, Please make sure it is dated 1999, as the post office
won't accept IRC's dated over 1 year old.
Make sure the cancel stamp is in the right place on the IRC.
"Green Stamps" (USA ONLY) are appreciated for covering additional costs.

Note: Dave Larsen MIREX / N6CO is not handling SWL cards for Sputnik, please use
the other addresses

*****************

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew consisted
of  French  cosmonaut  Jean-Pierre  Heignere,  Viktor  Afanasyev  and  Slovakian
Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys  mission  lasted  approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 ? February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16, and is expected to
last a total of 12 months.

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright  1999  Miles  Mann,  All Rights Reserved.  This document may be freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet, and
World-Wide-Web.   It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited
to,  CD  ROMs,  books,  and/or  other  commercial  outlets without prior written
consent from the author.
Images  received  from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station Mir
are  considered  public  domain  and  may  be  freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F