Mir Status June 17, 1999 WhiteCitySkd

Mir Amateur Radio Status: June 17, 1999

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Mir School Schedules:
The MAREX-NA team runs Pre-arranged School Schedules with the crew of the
Russian Space Station Mir.  A few weeks ago the students from the White City
High School in Saskatchewan Canada had the opportunity to talk to all three
members of the Mir Space Station on April 30, 1999 (French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre
Heignere, Viktor Afanasyev and Sergei Avdeyev).  The students asked a variety of
questions in multiple languages (Russian, French and English).  At the end of
the Question/Answer time, the Mir crew then sent the Students an SSTV image of
the Mir crew.  The Crew had so much fun, they asked if they could come back on
the next orbit and talk some more.  The children were more than happy oblige and
did participate in two consecutive orbits.
 Here is an excerpt of that conversation:

   Conversation between MIR Cosmonauts and White City School, April 30, 1999 -
                                   translation

Hello. This is a big pleasure to talk to you. The students from White City,
Regina are greeting you.
Good morning.
We don?t have much time, so could we please ask you our questions. Erin is
asking the first question.
Is the MIR space station protected from the millenium bug?
Yes , I think it is protected.

Thank you. Mark is asking the second question.
Why did you become a cosmonaut?
I wanted to be a pilot, a military pilot, and I became a military pilot who
trained airplanes,  I wished to work on ?Buran? spaceship and space shuttle.

Thank you. Taylor is asking the next question.
How do they choose cosmonauts to go to MIR?
The most important : it is hard work, and also you need to have luck to be a
citizen of the  country which has research into space. But first of all it is
hard, hard work.

Thank you. Kathryn is asking the next question:
What happens to MIR when they send up the new space station?
This space ship has to be connected with us, the first space ship will be cargo
ship, which  will bring water, fuel , food and, certainly, scientific equipment.
If you would like, now we can show you a picture from our station.

We don?t have an equipment for that in school, but you can send an image and the
other people will record it. Can you send it next pass?
Yes, we will send it next pass.

Evan is asking the next question.
What does it look like in space in the daytime?
At day-time we can see the Earth horizon very well, Light blue color turns into
dark blue then purple and then black. You can?t see stars in black sky. The
Earth is wonderful. No picture, no video tape is able to reflect beauty of the
Earth. Only eyes can see how wonderful is our planet.

Ryan is asking.
What is the temperature in space ( outside of the space station) ?
It can be from + 70 C to + 120 C on the sunny side, from -70 C to ? 120 C in
shade. We have minus only in the fridge, in our space station the temperature +
24 C + 26 C inside.

We?d like to say you bye for a while. Could we please talk to you again in 90
minutes?
When the next pass is above your city, you can tell us about yourselves a little
. Of course. Thank you, talk to you in 90 minutes , bye.
We can send you a picture from inside of our station and something else.
Thank you.

I would like to thank all of the people who help out with another successful
MAREX-NA Mir School schedule:
Dave Hendrick N1PPP,  coordination and training
The MAREX-NA team,
The engineers at MAREX-Russia, scheduling
The MIREX team, Dave Larsen N6CO for packet Message support
And all of the people at the White City High school and DCI for all their hard
work in setting up the radio station.

As time permits the MAREX-NA team has been granted permission to runs school
schedules with the crews on Mir. All schedules are arranged months in advance
with the engineers at Energia in Russia.

The school received a temporary  Third-Party traffic waver and were allowed by
the Canadian government to have a few non-licensed Russian students conduct part
of the radio schedule in Russian. The crew enjoyed the schedule so much, they
came back for seconds on the next pass.

Live Long and Prosper:
The  Russian Space Station will be flying solo for a few months beginning in Mid
August  1999 until February 2000.  You have probably seen the news stories about
the current Mir crew returning to earth in August 1999.  The next crew which was
scheduled  to arrive on Mir in August, will not be launched until February 2000.
This  is not the first time the Russian Space Station has flown with out a crew.
The Mir station will be empty for approximately 6 months.  Then depending on the
funding  status,  the  February crew will either prepare the space station for a
controlled  splash landing in the pacific or prepare Mir for operating until its
15 year birthday in February 2001.

Progress Launch:
There will be a new supply ship launching in July 10 1999 for Mir.

MAREX-NA SSTV ISS projects:
MAREX-NA  SSTV  project  is under development.  The new remotely steering camera
prototypes have arrived and the Sysop Terminal program to turn the cameras is in
progress.   We  expect  the  MAREX-NA  SSTV  ISS  proposal to cost approximately
$100,000.00 to build 5 flight quality systems.

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew consisted
of  French  cosmonaut  Jean-Pierre  Heignere,  Viktor  Afanasyev  and  Slovakian
Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys  mission  lasted  approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 ? February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16, and is expected to
last a total of 12 months.

MAREX-NA Web Page:
The MAREX-NA web page is temporally off line due to a server move.
And it looks like we may need to find a new home for the MAREX-NA web page.
If  you know of a Free home for the MAREX-NA web page in the USA, please contact
Miles.

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright  1999  Miles  Mann,  All Rights Reserved.  This document may be freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet, and
World-Wide-Web.   It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited
to,  CD  ROMs,  books,  and/or  other  commercial  outlets without prior written
consent from the author.
Images  received  from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station Mir
are  considered  public  domain  and  may  be  freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F